Soothing Shrimp's Silly Shrimping

Soothing Shrimp

I am glad to hear you aren't having more deaths!  You know if you wanted to keep the line alive you can always send me a few for safe keeping... that way even if your house burns down the strain isn't lost ;) hehe.

Back in 2008 or so when I had green shrimp they spit out 3 jet black offspring.  At that time there was nothing out there that was solid black like that.  I tried to separate them but greens grew so slowly and I eventually lost them and the original colony. 

Three, possibly Six-Dog-Night, eh?

We can send you some assorted flavor syrups for your snowballs, Soothing.

Pina Colada? Raspberry? 

Even throw in a few live crawdaddies...

Just kidding.(not about the crayfish)

I come from PA, and know just what kind of chilling freeze you are dealing with.

Plus, they make fun of "The Yankee" down here for calling crawfish "crawldaddy".

(Even though I was born in Alabama)

Each state/country will have its good points and bad.

The grass is what color you make it.

Keep warm.

-Stef*

Did the 50+% (maybe closer to 70%) wa-wa change.  Took out the moss and ammocarb so I can observe any adverse affects, however I'm willing to bet this will help quite a bit...

BTW, I would not advocate such a big water change regularly, however sometimes drastic situations call for drastic measures.

Much better now.  Thank you. :)

Two adult deaths the day of the huge water change- which honestly would be expected.

No deaths until today when I noticed a very young juvie on the bottom dead and that could have been from anything.  All in all, very good.  Looks like Major crises over.  Now, most of the juvies need to mature to breed and carry on offspring.

I'm hoping to move some shrimp over to the 20g by Friday. :)

• 2 weeks later...

-40* F with windchill today.  Always fun.  NOT!  Ugh

Moved a portion of my Nessies over the to 20g.  Looking pretty good in both tanks now. :)

Going to do an experiment on all my tanks.  I've been running my TDS around 300 or so, and the shrimp seem to like that.  However I have been sorely neglecting gh in lieu of TDS.

So, while thinking about it recently, I've decided to flip my mentality this year and see if breeding increases or decreases by "ignoring" TDS and concentrating on keeping gh between 6-9.

Done some radical wc on a number of tanks so far.  Still need to do around 10 more tanks to see if it makes a difference.

IN other news, my 30g with Malawas is 19GH right now.  :o   It has been doing well, so I've just left it alone.  I had no idea it was so high.  Now the logical me says if it ain't broke,don't touch it.  But the creative me says bring it down to 6-9 as well... The creative me has locked the logical me in the closet. LOL

Are you still using TDS Up?

I hope I don't have to use it for the Yellows once they are in their new tank. I want them to breed in the 200's TDS, but I see some people have good results with Yellows when the TDS is in the 300's.

I don't want to do anything special just for one tank of Neos.

I tried TDS up once.  Decided I didn't like it and sold off the rest of the package.  It would be fine for a normal nano I think, because so many people have said it works well for them.  However keep in mind I do lots of 10 gallon tanks, and the cost is just too prohibitive.

Wow.  Kind of dead here recently. 

Just an update.  My Nessies are doing fine now.  Have some in a 20g, and some in the tenner.  Did water changes on most of my tanks to bring the gh down to 6ish.

Still almost no breeding in the shrimp tanks due to winter.

so what exactly are nessies?  Have you posted pictures of them before?