Male vs Female

I've been thinking about a phenomenon seen in dwarf shrimps, not sure what you guys think about this.

For most animals, males show better appearance than females. But for shrimps, most people agree females show better males. What's your take?

No one wants to comment on this? It's not like there's a right answer, at least I don't have it ;-)

I absolutely agree. Definitely in fish you notice male exhibiting brilliant coloration to attract a mate. I think shrimp females definitely exhibit better coloration, just not sure why.

I absolutely agree. Definitely in fish you notice male exhibiting brilliant coloration to attract a mate. I think shrimp females definitely exhibit better coloration, just not sure why.

One of the very few fish where females color up better than males is kribensis

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Has anyone noticed the ratio of males to females in a given environment? Maybe females out number males, or perhaps due to water conditions, a more colorful female is easier for the male to find.

If your going to be seeing shrimp in a mostly natural environment, I'd be interested to know if female wild shrimp also have a more vivid color than the males. It may not be as perceptible as in man made colors, but perhaps it is still there?

Also to consider, is at what point does a shrimp 'sex out'. It may be environmental, and then more factors could play into your answer. After I play with colors for a while, I intend to play with sex linked characteristics.

In wild shrimp there colors are camouflage. .. they increase the coloration for extra protection. .. just my theory

Many good points in this thread, and it actually gets closer to my own theory.

Here is mine : Male shrimps do have a better appearance than females.

Why do I say this? In the wild, there is no crystal red or Taiwan bees, even for Neos, they are just black or brown.

In that case, some stripes (on Neo) actually gives a better look and they would be more visible (bad for being eaten, good to attract females).

For bee shrimps, the good colour we see today is all "man made". What makes them look good in red/white, black/white in our tank may not make them better in their wild form.

A very shallow opinion of mine, don't laugh at me too hard ;-)