Pure Red Lines - To Mix or Not to Mix

Tanman19az

Hey guys! I've been dabbling with the idea of setting up a PRL tank. One major question I have is do you want to mix various credible lines or do you choose one line and stay with it? It seems like everyone has their own PRL these days. I wouldn't be surprised if our "Aquatics" club here came out with their own PRL ;). Does the line lose it's value if you mix benibachi, Ellen wang, hakata, Xin, Feather etc...?

Let me know what you guys think...

I think most people mix PRL lines to enhance the traits they're looking for ie. nishiki has really nice darker red bodies and legs, xin and feather have brighter bodies and not much leg coloring, ....all of those are from my experiences and from what I can tell when I look at the PRL that I own with those lineage in them. I can't say much for Ellen Wang,  Benibachi, Ebiten, Crimson, Hakata, Elegant Taiwan Lady or any others since I don't own them.

I mix my PRL so that I can try and enhance overall leg coverage and try to get deeper red in the next generations but I have a bunch of lineages that I keep in one tank so it's hard to tell who is the father of the soon to be babies haha. But once I find out which babies have the traits I want it's culling time LOL

I know of some people who keep one line of PRL only tanks and work on those PRL for the traits they want to bring out in them too. So all in all it's going to be a preference to what you desire and what goal you want from them hehe

From what I've read if you buy the super high end PRL ($100+) the offspring of those PRL aren't worth that price tag because they weren't breed in the original farms tanks and are considered "made in the USA" PRL  so technically they can't be called "(insert shrimp farm name) PRL" anymore but you can say they're offspring and breed in your tank though!

I think most people mix PRL lines to enhance the traits they're looking for ie. nishiki has really nice darker red bodies and legs, xin and feather have brighter bodies and not much leg coloring, ....all of those are from my experiences and from what I can tell when I look at the PRL that I own with those lineage in them. I can't say much for Ellen Wang, Benibachi, Ebiten, Crimson, Hakata, Elegant Taiwan Lady or any others since I don't own them.

I mix my PRL so that I can try and enhance overall leg coverage and try to get deeper red in the next generations but I have a bunch of lineages that I keep in one tank so it's hard to tell who is the father of the soon to be babies haha. But once I find out which babies have the traits I want it's culling time LOL

I know of some people who keep one line of PRL only tanks and work on those PRL for the traits they want to bring out in them too. So all in all it's going to be a preference to what you desire and what goal you want from them hehe

From what I've read if you buy the super high end PRL ($100+) the offspring of those PRL aren't worth that price tag because they weren't breed in the original farms tanks and are considered "made in the USA" PRL so technically they can't be called "(insert shrimp farm name) PRL" anymore but you can say they're offspring and breed in your tank though!

I'd totally agree on this. It's up to you if you want a mixed PRL line. You can even end up naming your own line down the road. If you're just considering the "value" as in how much they can be sold for, especially for high end PRLs that are sold individually, I think the quality of the individual shrimp is more important than the name of the line. Even if you buy let's say Ellen Wang shrimps, you're not going to get people to spend the same amount of money on those bred by you and those by Ellen. But if this offspring shows amazing traits, I'd spend money regardless what line it's from. That's just my opinion. I still know some who breed their colony from a few shrimps of the same line and work their way selective breeding them. It's really a personal preference in the end. And having said all of that, I'm not planning to mix other lines into my current PRLs. It also depends on the grade of your original stock you're starting with.

I think most people mix PRL lines to enhance the traits they're looking for ie. nishiki has really nice darker red bodies and legs, xin and feather have brighter bodies and not much leg coloring, ....all of those are from my experiences and from what I can tell when I look at the PRL that I own with those lineage in them. I can't say much for Ellen Wang, Benibachi, Ebiten, Crimson, Hakata, Elegant Taiwan Lady or any others since I don't own them.

From what I've read if you buy the super high end PRL ($100+) the offspring of those PRL aren't worth that price tag because they weren't breed in the original farms tanks and are considered "made in the USA" PRL so technically they can't be called "(insert shrimp farm name) PRL" anymore but you can say they're offspring and breed in your tank though!

Agree bro...

My prl is mix line too

E-line( ellen wang ) have bright white, aquatilor line have solid and dark red, vin line have good red and golden white, benibachi have good body, crimson have great color leg...

I mixed line to create good offspring and increase quality of my prl :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

I'm going through the same dilemma right now and I'm thinking i'm going to mix lines just to prevent long term inbreeding and just to add some excitement to the hobby to the line to see where the offspring goes from there.

just thought i would follow up and see how things progressed with the original posters in this thread.