Post Your Shrimp Pics

mayphly

Played around with some texture filters in Photoshop. Would be pretty cool to have a canvas printout like this:

n4qThpL.jpg

Original photo:

ngf5I3w.jpg

09f11886c454e9a9835bf134da11604c.jpg

Newcomer to the hobby. Loving the pro photos. Bought a pregnant shrimp, my 2nd one ever, added her to my planted vase. Figured she was going to release those babies at any time so ran out and bought a Canon Elph360 point and shoot and sure enough she did that evening. Fascinating to watch.

09f11886c454e9a9835bf134da11604c.jpg

Newcomer to the hobby. Loving the pro photos. Bought a pregnant shrimp, my 2nd one ever, added her to my planted vase. Figured she was going to release those babies at any time so ran out and bought a Canon Elph360 point and shoot and sure enough she did that evening. Fascinating to watch.

Planted shrimp vase? I thought I was the only one. Sounds like a new thread...
It's pretty sweet to see a shrimp release her babies! Lucky you got to see the magic so soon, I didn't get to see it for a long time!
Anyway, welcome!

Planted shrimp vase? I thought I was the only one. Sounds like a new thread...
It's pretty sweet to see a shrimp release her babies! Lucky you got to see the magic so soon, I didn't get to see it for a long time!
Anyway, welcome!

Thank you. It was a very special thing to watch. The babies are doing well. Could really use some advice on surface biofilm. You also have a planted vase?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Thank you. It was a very special thing to watch. The babies are doing well. Could really use some advice on surface biofilm. You also have a planted vase?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Sort of a planted vase!

feebe36a2536bd5177ce51f546759c92.jpg

Try an additive powder like Bacter AE. I use L'Bee Bacter Bee, same idea, I just like this particular one because I've never had any issues from accidentally over feeding it, which happens often with me. Here are links to both from a couple fellow members' websites:

Bacter AE:

http://www.theshrimptank.com/vitamin-health-aids/glasgarten-bacter-ae/

L'Bee:

https://www.discobee.com/collections/lbee/products/lbee-bacterbee

Sort of a planted vase!
feebe36a2536bd5177ce51f546759c92.jpg
Try an additive powder like Bacter AE. I use L'Bee Bacter Bee, same idea, I just like this particular one because I've never had any issues from accidentally over feeding it, which happens often with me. Here are links to both from a couple fellow members' websites:
Bacter AE:
http://www.theshrimptank.com/vitamin-health-aids/glasgarten-bacter-ae/
L'Bee:
https://www.discobee.com/collections/lbee/products/lbee-bacterbee

Actually I'm worried about the accumulation of too much surface bio film cutting off oxygen to the vase. Also accumulation of Wisteria detritus that babies and others are feeding off of on bottom.

I took a pic this evening. What do you think?

https://goo.gl/photos/45C4ZB4nDbunWsi46

Most current shots are at top...

I've kept a jarrarium for a while now, and had to find a way to combat the dust/scum that inevitably found it's way onto the surface of the water.

I was lucky enough to find a clear plastic container that I was able to fashion into a "lid" for the jar.  Additionally, I keep some salvinia minima floating on top.  Since these changes, I haven't had to deal with the scum issue and the jar remains crystal clear.

Oh the surface scum? Different than biofilm. You could try agitation, like with a small airstone.

Oops, newbie mistake with terminology. So if I'm understanding correctly surface scum is different then biofilm. Biofilm builds on solid surfaces, tank walls, plants, etc. and is beneficial. Surface scum can be the result of protein buildup from decaying matter in the tank. Which makes sense because I've refrained from removing decayed leaves when I saw the babies grazing on them. Plus stopped siphoning the bottom of detritus, again afraid to disturb those tiny babies. Also haven't done a partial water replacement in a few days. So, I should return to what I was doing. I may add an air stone later. Did so in my bettas tank and strangely he loves it, makes very fine bubbles, just enough to agitate the surface.

Your vase looks well established, very pretty. Were you topping off the water when you took the photo? Curious about the low water level.

Oops, newbie mistake with terminology. So if I'm understanding correctly surface scum is different then biofilm. Biofilm builds on solid surfaces, tank walls, plants, etc. and is beneficial. Surface scum can be the result of protein buildup from decaying matter in the tank. Which makes sense because I've refrained from removing decayed leaves when I saw the babies grazing on them. Plus stopped siphoning the bottom of detritus, again afraid to disturb those tiny babies. Also haven't done a partial water replacement in a few days. So, I should return to what I was doing. I may add an air stone later. Did so in my bettas tank and strangely he loves it, makes very fine bubbles, just enough to agitate the surface.

Your vase looks well established, very pretty. Were you topping off the water when you took the photo? Curious about the low water level.

You've got the right idea about the difference between the two. For Bettas, though, they sometimes make bubble nests that can look like protein build up and really don't need aeration, but it's okay to have air.
The water in the vase actually remains around that level. This is because it's styled after a type of aquarium called a "wabi kusa," in which a majority, or at least many of the plants, are exposed to air (emersed) with very little water in a shallow dish or bowl below, just to maintain humidity. Try googling some pictures and you'll see what I mean. The difference is that mine has more water than the traditional wabi to accommodate shrimp, but all those plants have been grown out of water for a few months now.

I've kept a jarrarium for a while now, and had to find a way to combat the dust/scum that inevitably found it's way onto the surface of the water.

I was lucky enough to find a clear plastic container that I was able to fashion into a "lid" for the jar.  Additionally, I keep some salvinia minima floating on top.  Since these changes, I haven't had to deal with the scum issue and the jar remains crystal clear.

That's an excellent idea. Plus floating plants look great, especially in a still water environment where an inlet pump isn't blowing them around.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a new dDSLR and a macro kit! I can also send photos from the camera directly to my phone, so plenty to come! Still working on lighting and I need to invest in an external flash. But here are a few to start!
b5333dac2f7928bcda508fd10258d1f5.jpg
3445f3229c0e6612e69d90b2fe2e0463.jpg
f8d3c7e5596509faaf88b0de5b93cab9.jpg