anyone else?

aquariumlover10

Hey, I am wondering who else has or is planning to set up a saltwater tank? I know taylor has a mantis shrimp tank(which is awesome btw), but I haven't ever seen anyone else with one, once I move I am upgrade current tank and such, then start up a florida biotope reef tank, it will only b 10g, but I am going to get a permit to collect inverts, corals, sub, and fish, heres a link to it http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

Also if anyone has had a sw tank I would love to here about it too :)

I'm definitely looking into it for shrimp.  I may start with peppermint shrimp to give me a feeling of accomplishment and move from there.  They are supposed to be pretty hardy and bred by commercial breeders.  Lifespan is 2-3 yrs.

PeppermintShrimp.jpg

My main goal is to figure out an extremely simplistic and ubber cheap sw tank and do it.

I'm definitely looking into it for shrimp. I may start with peppermint shrimp to give me a feeling of accomplishment and move from there. They are supposed to be pretty hardy and bred by commercial breeders. Lifespan is 2-3 yrs.

PeppermintShrimp.jpg

My main goal is to figure out an extremely simplistic and ubber cheap sw tank and do it.

soothing, if you figure out an ubber cheap sw tank lemme know lol

Nice link... I think i could swing that set up... Honestly i could scrap my sulawesi tank and just add salt and im good to go...

That's what I'm saying.  I think many of us have some preconceived idea that sw is hard and expensive.  I love the variety of shrimp in the Marine life, and I really think it could be simple and "cheap."

I'm planning on a SW tank. I picked up a biocube from Craigslist 6 months ago but havnt set it up yet. This thread is motivating me to get going! Reef central has a great beginner section here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

This a great setup thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075632

Humm, that doesn't really work, because with buying coral, macro algae, a clean up crew, or live foos you vwill get micro and larvae kitchhikers on them, also you will need to let the tank sit and add ammonia for a year for it to completly cycle and delelop coralline algae and and even a hermit crabor snail would die from no algae or anything on the rock.

It doesnt take a year to cycle a sw nano or pico....you can dry cycle a sw in 3-4 months (all dry bacteria free rock and sand, cycle start with only a small bit of raw seafood). A live rock cycle takes 1 day to 30 days, depending on how cycled the rock is (if its from an existing established tank its like moving a sponge filter over) fresh from the ocean live rock might have a few spikes from due off on the journey.

Rock is important in sw...its your filter media in most tanks. If you aren't into hitchhiker problems use dry rock....beware itll take way longer to cycle.

And while you could just add salt to a cycled fw tank....ur bacteria will need a slow add to adjust to sw....takes longer to acclimate bacteria from fw to sw than to just cycle a sw setup

Im currently running a 72g bowfront mixed reef. Variety of inverts from moving to not, few fish