Fenbendazole dosing

jesseter

So I brought in a couple of my pond plants and put them in my 10 gallong bloody mary tank. This morning I saw some hydra in the tank. I am guessing they hitchhiked in on the plants. Really stupid on my part I should have treated them, but it never crossed my mind. So I have some of the febendazole I got off of a retail site. It says it has 225mg in the package. I found these instructions in one of the comments.

Next method, the better of the two but you will need a syringe. I did a 25% water change before using this method. Take 100ml of aquarium water, dump in one full packet and stir. 1ml per 10 gallon, repeat every 12hrs till Hydra gone. This way you get more of a dissolved solution. One dose seemed to do it. In my tank I had various kinds of shrimp and babies, rabbit, mystery, mts, and nerite snails, dwarf crayfish, guppy, various live plants. All did well. If they return I still have my solution ready.

Day five, no water change since the last dose, snails are showing signs of stress. Hydra gone, shrimp are fine. Will do a 30% water change and add new snails, I moved the others to another tank to bounce back.

Oh, watch for pH and Ammonia spikes, it may cause a mini cycle or spikes and a water change will be needed. I used Stress Zyme before using product and after water change

Does this sound like a good method of dosing. I saw the just add a pinch method and that didn't set well with me. Thanks everybody in advance!!

Jesse

You want .1g (100mg) per 10gallons of water.

Also I have heard it is NOT safe for nirite snails.  I don't keep them myself but I have heard from multiple people that they have lost some when treating so if you have any I would remove them during treatment.

I put 1/10 powder in teabag for 10G, and place in HOB.

Works great, I can take it out after two weeks, no residue.

Thanks everybody! I could still kick myself for putting the plants in. If I would have gotten them anywhere else I would have dipped them first. Soothing that is the exact type I have. I just needed to figure the dosage. The instructions are for fish so all it had was soaking food in it. Again Tanks everybody you're Grrrrreat!!

Also I have heard it is NOT safe for nirite snails.  I don't keep them myself but I have heard from multiple people that they have lost some when treating so if you have any I would remove them during treatment.

I've heard the same for mystery snails.

Oh, and I use the .1g for planaria, and .05g for hydra.  Bother are fine to use, but the .05 is a little gentler- but it does take an extra couple days or so to work depending on the strain of hydra.

Also, turn off your lights after dosing for the first day at least.  It breaks down photochemically.

• 2 years later...

I've heard the same for mystery snails.

Oh, and I use the .1g for planaria, and .05g for hydra.  Bother are fine to use, but the .05 is a little gentler- but it does take an extra couple days or so to work depending on the strain of hydra.

Also, turn off your lights after dosing for the first day at least.  It breaks down photochemically.

Soothing- Im trying to treat a 20gallon tank for planaria. I bought the same bottle of Fenbendazole you show but im confused how much to dose exactly. Each packet inside is 250 mgs so im thinking it should be a little less than 1 packet for the whole tank. Does that sound right? Seems like alot though. Thank you.