Soothing Shrimp

Who has microcrabs?

10 posts in this topic

Great pets if you're a vampire as they seem to come out mostly at night. 

My nano tank (2.6 gal) had a large piece of driftwood and provided lots of hiding places. Needless to say I hardly ever saw them. Although I noted that they hide just as often as my red claw crabs. But the only advantage that the micro crabs have is their size. It's easier to spot a hidden red 2 inch crab than a grey crab that's half an inch long.

I recently rescaped my tank with plenty of plants and smaller pieces of wood- I used spiderwood this time. Although they still do a great job at hiding at the root of the plants and still only come out at night, it's easier to spot them.

I've attached video of my old tank

IMG_0072.mov

Invertebrates by msjinkzd keeps them all the time,she has a you tube channel.(Rachel)

Soothing Shrimp likes this

Recently set up a 2.5-gallon micro tank for a handful of these little guys.  One thing I learned very quickly is that they do NOT like the cold - ever since I moved them into my bathroom with a space heater, they've been very active and even fairly adventurous.  The other thing is that they fit very easily through the slots covering the filter intake (this is a TopFin "Retreat"), so there's probably a whole party going on back there.  Eventually going to fasten a piece of mesh behind the cover to keep them out.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying them - I don't find them as cute or charming as my shrimp, but they are pretty entertaining.

IMG_9339.MOV

IMG_9483.MOV

ohmiko likes this

I bought 6 and then I thought they were killing my shrimp so I removed them. Turns out it wasn't them. I must have missed one because months and months later I saw one. I couldn't believe it. They will literally eat anything it seems like. I really like them, but they are way too reclusive.

On 3/28/2015 at 10:17 AM, Soothing Shrimp said:

Anyone here have microcrabs?  Tips on care?

I had crabs once but i used medicine that killed them :lolu: