Step by Step Cycling Techniques

We constantly have questions about cycling.  I'd like this thread to be Step-By-Step Cycling Techniques.  These will provide examples to follow.

Feel free to add your Step-By-Step techniques.

But to keep this thread cleaned up, please post questions or comments to http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/4064-step-by-step-cycling-techniques-conversation/

MAYPHLY'S TANK CYCLE START JUNE 14, 2015

6-14-15   Add Old Sea Mud, and BT-9, to bottom of tank

Add Amazonia substrate                

Install HMF. Place biorings and heater behind HMF

Fill tanks with tap water

6-15-15   100% water change

6-16-15   100% water change

6-18-15   Tanks 1-3 drain water 100%.

Add SL Magic Powder to top of substrate and add 100ml Purify.  Cover top of substrate with tap        

water (w/ Prime)

Tanks 4-6 complete 50% water change. Turn on heater to 85 and add plants

6-19-15   Tanks 1-3 fill with 100% conditioned tap water. Turn on heater & add plants. Add buffer

6-20-15   Add minerals to raise TDS to 130 and GH 5. Add Bacter AE to tanks 4-6

6-21-15   25% water change. Adjust TDS and GH. Add buffer

6-24-15   Add buffer PH between 6.8-7.0

6-28-15   25% water change. Add buffer to tanks 1-6.  PH 6.8-7.0

7-1-15   Added Bacter AE to all tanks

7-3-15   25% water change tanks 1-6. Test for ammonia. Tank #6 is showing 0ppm. Test Tank #6 again.

Add 3.0ml of Purify to all tanks. Add Magic Powder to all tanks.

Add almond leaves to all tanks.

Adjust heater in Tank #6 to 72

Also, all tanks were seeded with muck from sponges from other tanks around 6-19.

One thing I'm going to start to do from now on, is to start keeping my Java moss in a mesh bag and hang it in the tanks that are cycling as an ammonia sponge.  This would be removed before shrimp are added.

Mine is pretty simple and easy.

1. Pre-seed 4.25" cube sponge filter (from Angelfish plus) in existing healthy tank a month ahead. If you have HOB or canister filter, do the same.
2. Add 5 lbs of Controsoil for 20L, 2.5lbs Controsoil for 10G, thin substrate works better
3. Add RO water
4. 4 days later, do 100% water change. adjust GH to 3. I use SS GH+
5. Add pre-seeded sponge filter and HOB/Canister
6. Add plants, add light (20W LED for 20L, 10W LED for 10G).
7. Wait 3 more days then add shrimp
8. Done

Done cycling a new tank in 7 days (on the safe side, it can be done in one day)

I successfully keep MK-Breed PRL, Ellen Wang's PRL, BKK, Wine Red, Yellow Kingkong, Crystal White by this way without any lose, and starts breeding in a month or so.

If you don't have time. you can do it in 1 day. I always have extra sponge filter in existing tank.
So I can setup new tank in emergency in no time.

Warning, this procedure only works with ControSoil or similar, it doesn't work with ADA AS.

• 9 months later...

I thought that maybe some absolute beginners might be interested in my experience of cycling an entirely new tank.  My experience was that the cycle kicked in at week-4 and by week-5 was established.  

I should stress that I started the tank 100% from scratch.  I didn't have another tank from which I could pull any 'starter' material.  The tank was 12l with a Maxi Power Head Pump (6W, 400L/hr) and a 25w heater.  It also had a ceramic filter, carbon filter and 5.75w light, all of which came with the kit.

My base-layer was Tropica Plant Growth Substrate covered by 'Pets At Home' Premium Black Gravel.  Into this base I placed five plants; Cryptocoryne Amicorum, Cryptocoryne Nevellii, Echinodorus Parviflorus Tropica, Hygrophila Mini and Java Moss (on wood).  I then added POTW (plain old tap water) treated with 'Love Fish' Tap Safe and switched everything on.  After one week, I did a water test:

• CL2 – 0
  • pH – 8
  • KH -15-20 (d)
  • GH – >21 (d)
  • NO2 – 5 (mg/l)
  • NO3 – 25 (mg/l)

I was actually surprised that the nitrite and nitrate levels were relatively low, but clearly, the nitrogen cycle hadn't kicked in.

At the end of the second week I did another water test before doing a 25% water change:

• CL2 – 0.8 (up)
  • pH – 8 (no change)
  • KH -15-20 (no change)
  • GH – >21 (no change)
  • NO2 – 5 (no change)
  • NO3 – 50 (up)

I was a little surprised by the increase in CL2, but everything else was as expected.  I think that the increase in Nitrate was probably because the cryptocorynes were both suffering from 'melt' and I suspect that as the leaves decayed they were releasing nitrates into the water.

At the end of the third week I did another water test before a 25%b water change:

• CL2 – 0.4 (down)
  • pH – 7.6-8 (no significant change)
  • KH -15-20 (no change)
  • GH – >21 (no change)
  • NO2 – 0-0.5 (down)
  • NO3 – 10 (down)

It seemed as if the nitrogen cycle was now starting to kick-in because the numbers were starting to come down.

At the end of the fourth week I did another water test before a 25% water change:

• CL2 – 0 (steady)
  • pH – 8-8.4 (up)
  • KH -20 (up)
  • GH – >21 (no change)
  • NO2 – 0 (steady)
  • NO3 – 0 (down)

So, at that time I made the assumption that the nitrogen cycle was operating.

Since then, I've continued to monitor the water quality on a weekly basis.  I keep the tank at 25C and have the light on for 12h per day.  I swap out ~25%-30% of the water every week using a narrow tube.  It typically takes 15-20 minutes to syphon 25%-30% of the water out of the tank (during which time I do some general tank cleaning) and another 15-20 minutes to syphon fresh (tap) water back into the tank.  My neocaridina seem happy with this approach, and it was roughly 2 months after adding juvenile shrimp to the tank that I spotted my first 'berried' female.