Pinto Mischling Project

This threat will not be about sales just sharing info.

So I'm sure everyone knows that Pintos Red & Black are the big craze right now and prices are sky high. I know a handful of people can afford them at their current price so I figured hey what not play with the ones I have.

I have tanks that are pure in the sense that I will not mix anything into them. We can call them X & Y tank.

X tank houses my German Red Pintos & my Y tank houses my German Black Pintos.

I setup some new tanks about a month ago X1 / Y1 / C1.

- In Tank (X1)  I placed a single Red Pinto male with 5 WR females.

- In Tank (Y1) I placed a single Black Pinto male with 5 Panda females.

- In Tank (C1) I placed a single Red Pinto male with 2 PRL females.

The reason I wanted to play with this sub tanks is because the simple fact that I could NOT find a single solid bit of information on how to create my own Spothead Pinto Mischlings.

I was told to mix all kinds of things but when I asked... "ok what will the offspring look like?" I would always get the same thing... I don't know. Soooo this made me think well if no one can give me an answer I will just figure it out myself.

Here is some suggestions I was told to mix:

Pinto x Fancy Tiger = ??

Pinto x Orange Eye Blue Tiger = ??

Pinto x TB Mischling = ??

Pinto x  TB = ??

So I figured I will keep it very simple and mix at a basic level. I avoided using Fancy Tigers because I have no clue what genes the Fancy Tigers brings & same with TB Mischlings. That's why I narrowed it down to the 2 basic TB colors Red & Black plus the PRL so I knew it would not bring CBS/Golden gene with it.

I will update with photos as time goes on but here are some of the current results that I have found.

Very interesting thread and very exiting to see the result. I'm still new here and only had success to get my first tbs from mischlimgs and I know how exciting this can be. Pintos are still far away from me, haven't played enough with TBs yet.

Can I ask you how big your tanks x, y and x1, y1, c1? You have quite a late playground I would love lob to see the picture of the whole setup if possible please.

Greenteam! Great thread my friend, definitely will be following. I am currently attempting to breed my own line of Pintos, Tibees are almost old enough to breed.

Great thread and I for one am looking forward to seeing the outcome of all 3 tanks.

From my own experience recently with my black spotted head mischlings x unknown father (red fancy tiger or black pinto, or spotted headed mischling)  my females have produced some interesting babies....one looks all white, one is definitely red with stripes (could be pinto) and another one is definitely black spotted headed.

I think these genetics are soooo complex that we just don't know what will come out of the pot....but it is fun to find out!

Keep us posted on the babies as they arrive.

What kind of soil are you using in these new tanks?   I am going to set another tank up with specific females to males and just wondered what your parameters are in the tanks.

could you please post a picture of your tank setup so we can see the whole tank.  Also did you have to wait 4 weeks for the ADA soil to cycle, or use bio-digest to fast cycle it?  Are you using RO/DI water and a heater, or not?  What food are you using, there seems to be sooo many now its confusing as to what is the best one.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have ADA soil and a clean empty tank so want to follow what you are doing as your plan seems to be working out well.

OK time for updates!

So as expected the Pinto x PRL offspring are growing wayyyy faster then all others. 

The Pinto x TB's are just starting to get more bold in their exploring and I finally got some ok pictures to show you guys.

Forgive the hazy look on some pictures because the glass on all my tanks is covered in this brown film. Shrimp love it so I leave it on there for them to enjoy.

OK lets start with a few pictures of the Pinto x PRL which I'm just calling Pinto Mischlings for now since they show the classic traits you seen in the imports.

So in other words they have the spotheads with a bit of washed out white color on bodies. 

Keep in mind this are F1 generation so I was really surprised to have this look at such an early start of the project. 

post-168-0-17238600-1437704855_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-08971900-1437704874_thumb.jpg

Next I will show some of the Black Pinto x TB(Panda/Hino No Entry pattern). This little guys are showing some amazing colors. I used a few of my solid blue Shadow Panda females in the hopes of turning the white bodies blue. 

The results so far are very promising since the young are displaying solid blue bodies from a young age. Just about all the young so far have been showing Zebra/Spothead patterns and I think it's because of the strong gene pool the father came from & the females I selected.

Here's a few pictures of the young and the parents.

post-168-0-35588200-1437705378_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-10629000-1437705406_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-12006800-1437705440_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-52723700-1437705469_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-42484900-1437705494_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-76186800-1437705533_thumb.jpg

Ok now for the Red Pinto x TB( Wine Red Panda/Hino No Entry pattern). This are also showing some seriously good results in the spothead department.

Right now I found a few young with 6+ Spots so I was really blown away since the father was a Zebra Pattern. Also I hope the Red the Pinto father displays is passed on to the young because it's so rich in color that honestly it looks much different then the Red TB's display.

I know the picture does him no justice but I will try to show what I mean. Also a bonus picture of one of the WR females berried again from Pinto father.

post-168-0-75760200-1437706264_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-52106300-1437706281_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-34984000-1437706327_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-50135300-1437706358_thumb.jpg

Lastly I wanted to show you guys what a NORMAL TB baby looks like in my main TB only tank. This way you get an idea of how different this young really are looking.

I have tons of this little guys running around since 8 females just released at once lol.

You should notice how they display the classic Panda pattern really early on so I can spot the differences in the young from the Pinto project right away.

post-168-0-88384100-1437706683_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-22381200-1437706713_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-95842400-1437706741_thumb.jpg

Romeo! This is a fantastic project, I really enjoy keeping up with this thread. Keep up the great work, look forward to your F2 generations and on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...