Setting Up A Tank With An HMF Filter

On 4/22/2016 at 8:21 AM, Vpier said:

I use a python to clean my HMF sponge once every three months. I shortened the tube so it fits easier inside the tank and press it up against the sponge, this does a very good job cleaning the sponge.

I always have a few extra sponge filters running in various tanks. When I setup a new tank with HMF I will first run the sponge filter only and once the tank is cycled and the temporary sponge filter has filtered out the particulates and the water is clear I will run the HMF for a couple weeks. I know this might sound time consuming but If you have a seeded sponge and using a soil like controsoil, brightwell or sl-aqua the cycling process is very fast. I have added shrimp within a few days but I normally wait a week.

• 6 months later...

hello,

i am on the way to use hmf filtration for shrimp tank, but i am still confused to use 30 PPI or 45 PPI?

some peple tell me with 45 ppi water flow can be stop circulating very fast so he advice 30 ppi

other people tell me with 30 ppi shrimp baby can pass on the foam or dye on the foam.

so please share your experience.

thank you

I've been having great success using the 45ppi sponge. Only a couple times my water flow has slowed down because the small holes on the bottom of the jetlifter tube have become clogged. A quick scrub with a small brush takes care of that issue. I don't see a sponge of this size getting clogged up anytime soon. I will more likely have to change out my buffering substrate before that happens.
As long as there is water behind the foam you should always have good flow using a jetlifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, cawasaki said:

hello,

i am on the way to use hmf filtration for shrimp tank, but i am still confused to use 30 PPI or 45 PPI?

some peple tell me with 45 ppi water flow can be stop circulating very fast so he advice 30 ppi

other people tell me with 30 ppi shrimp baby can pass on the foam or dye on the foam.

so please share your experience.

thank you

45ppi is the preferred choice but 30ppi is safe for babies and fish fry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

627352538c8b22d6ffaf6d16d8f19b88.jpg

caa75ee1d1b15cd82d292cdead23dc37.jpg

8c13a8c2ae735b9457d3892eb540f7b2.jpg

Here is what I used for mine. Used Ebay foam sheets cost 7$ shipped, used PVC for my uplift tube and pieces from my old double sponge filters. Have around 8.50$ per tank. I've had some for 3-4 years and has been fine. Even if it breaks down at this point I'd say I'm good.

Swiss tropicals charges 20$+ for a 10g tank plus a minimum of 13$ shipping. I tried to buy 1 small uplift tube to try and shipping was more than the cost of the pipe. I asked about it and they replied saying their margins were too low to not charge high shipping to make up costs. Doesn't seem right to me but that's how they do business.

Just sharing the route I went, there's many ways to do these. Highly recommend them just for the surface area of bio filters. Do what works best for you.

https://vimeo.com/196992473

Video attached to show how much flow my DIY gets. Works perfect and a ton of water movement.