Setting Up A Tank With An HMF Filter

• 5 months later...
I have not had any issues with fry or shrimp getting trapped with 30ppi. The issue issue I have with HMF is once in a while a shrimp will crawl over the sponge and into the back side.

I just watched one crawl up and over my HMF filter the other day to get in the back where all the goodies are. Curious little guys!

Shortly after starting this thread I was informed that it is NOT recommended to use SL Magic powder under the substrate when setting up a new tank. I set up 16 tanks using it under my substrate. Luckily I haven't had any problems or shrimp deaths since setting up my tanks this way. The other 6 tanks on my rack I set up using the SL cycling method which seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I get near the 30 day mark while cycling I start testing frequently for traces of ammonia. Everything seemed normal while cycling. No ammonia or high nitrates were detected when using these products under the substrate in my experience.

2 hours ago, mayphly said:

I just watched one crawl up and over my HMF filter the other day to get in the back where all the goodies are. Curious little guys!

I found several adults and two different age groups of baby shrimp in the back of one my HMF tanks.

2 hours ago, mayphly said:

Shortly after starting this thread I was informed that it is NOT recommended to use SL Magic powder under the substrate when setting up a new tank. I set up 16 tanks using it under my substrate. Luckily I haven't had any problems or shrimp deaths since setting up my tanks this way. The other 6 tanks on my rack I set up using the SL cycling method which seems to work well.

definitely under the soil is not recommended.

Lots of misunderstanding about what Magic Powder is, its an amazing food. Its not just for cycling, its basically being used as food for the bacteria during cycling. 

On 7/12/2015 at 9:39 AM, mayphly said:

I recently installed Hamburg Mattenfilters (HMF) into six 10 gallon tanks using 45ppi foam along with jetlifter tubes from Swiss Tropicals.

The foam blocks came pre cut 12 x 10 3/4" and the jetlifter tubes came pre assembled.

I like them them so much I thought I'd share with you how I installed them.

Step 1.

I dry fitted the foam blocks inside of the tank and made sure it fit to my liking. My plan was to add bio-rings along with the heater and jetlifter tube behind the foam. Once I fit my foam I removed it and cut a hole in the top where I wanted my jetlifter tube to exit. I used the jetlifter tube to cut the hole aprox 1" from the top in the center of the foam. You can twist the JL tube into the foam to cut it. You'll end up with a nice perfect fit.

17.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Step 2.

I installed my tubing on to the JL (jetlifter) tube and placed the JL into the foam. Then I inserted the foam back into the tank. Make sure you have enough tubing attached to the JL to reach your air pump. Next I placed my tank up on it's end and slid my bio-rings in. If I tried to just drop my bio-rings in they would kick the bottom of the foam out. I also placed my heater in behind the foam at this point.

15.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Step 3.

I added my bacteria to the bottom of the tank before adding my substrate. I decided to use Mosura Old Sea Mud, Bacter AE and SL- Magic Powder.  I also sprinkled some of the powders behind the filter over my bio-rings. The bacteria will help cycle the tank.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Step 4.

I rinsed my substrate to remove any debris before adding it to my tank. There was a lot of wood shavings in my gravel along with some purple, pink and blue rocks. I decided to go with natural colored gravel. Once rinsed I added my substrate in front of the filter. I suppose if you wanted to you could even add some behind the filter but I chose not to.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Step 5.

Fill the tank with water. Connect your airline tubing from the JL to your air pump and let it run. Now your ready to cycle your tank.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Not trying to one up you Andy but I make two small slits in the shape of a cross and slide the jet tube through it. The foam will seal around the tube and when you remove it it will close back up. This way if I want to change the location of the tube I wont have a hole.

Good info which gives rise to question. Could I also add seachem matrix and purigen along with bio rings. I as saw u washed regular gravel inert soil, but the following pictures look like an active substrate. Do you mix 2 soils?

Good info which gives rise to question. Could I also add seachem matrix and purigen along with bio rings. I saw u wash regular gravel inert soil, but the following pictures look like an active substrate. Do you mix 2 soils?

Has any used or seen this HMF by printed reef solutions.

3fca8c2559b480c91c4a5bc951659b30.jpg1582299467f0808b7445fc4f7435a249.jpg

4 hours ago, fernselvis said:

Good info which gives rise to question. Could I also add seachem matrix and purigen along with bio rings. I as saw u washed regular gravel inert soil, but the following pictures look like an active substrate. Do you mix 2 soils?

I don't see any reason you couldn't use matrix as well. If using purigen you would want the water flow going through the purigen bag. I find purigen not necessary. But, some people swear by it.

I was setting up multiple tanks in the pics. One has gravel as the substrate. The others are amazonia.

On 4/22/2016 at 3:15 AM, fernselvis said:

Has any used or seen this HMF by printed reef solutions.

3fca8c2559b480c91c4a5bc951659b30.jpg1582299467f0808b7445fc4f7435a249.jpg

The concept of this style is for easy removal to clean the sponge. The reduced surface area is obvious.  When the sponge is removed and being cleaned it will be a lot of work trying to keep fish/shrimp from getting behind it and removing them.  One of the negative to an HMF is removing the sponge for routine maintenance but the Germans run these for years without the sponge becoming clogged. For tanks with an active substrate this is a non-issue because the substrate will need to be replaced long before any maintenance would be required.

I use a python to clean my HMF sponges once every three months. I shortened the tube so it fits easier inside the tank and press it up against the sponge, this does a very good job cleaning the sponge. I use the Swiss Tropical corner HMF and can clean 3/4 of the sponge using this method.

I will add a small bag of purigen behind the HMF just for insurance purposes but its not necessary and I will take it out once every 2-3 weeks and squeeze around due to dead spots.

I don't see any reason you couldn't use matrix as well. If using purigen you would want the water flow going through the purigen bag. I find purigen not necessary. But, some people swear by it.

I was setting up multiple tanks in the pics. One has gravel as the substrate. The others are amazonia.

Ok. [emoji4]

The concept of this style is for easy removal to clean the sponge. The reduced surface area is obvious.  When the sponge is removed and being cleaned it will be a lot of work trying to keep fish/shrimp from getting behind it and removing them.  One of the negative to an HMF is removing the sponge for routine maintenance but the Germans run these for years without the sponge becoming clogged. For tanks with an active substrate this is a non-issue because the substrate will need to be replaced long before any maintenance would be required.

I use a python to clean my sponges once every three months. I shortened the tube so it fits easier inside the tank and press it up against the sponge, this does a very good job cleaning the sponge. I use the Swiss Tropical corner HMF and can clean 3/4 of the sponge using this method.

I will add a small bag of purigen behind the HMF just for insurance purposes but its not necessary and I will take it out once every 2-3 weeks and squeeze around due to dead spots.

I got a bag of purigen. It's say it's for 400 ltr can it still use it for a 100 ltrs. An off topic question and I know if not the correct thread but have any of u guys use sl Aqua new products have come and it's on a supper sale. The soil food and everything. And how do I do this in the future. Start a new topic ?

5 hours ago, fernselvis said:

I got a bag of purigen. It's say it's for 400 ltr can it still use it for a 100 ltrs. An off topic question and I know if not the correct thread but have any of u guys use sl Aqua new products have come and it's on a supper sale. The soil food and everything. And how do I do this in the future. Start a new topic ?

Yes you can use for smaller size, the purigen will last longer, you should talk to Bostoneric about SL Aqua

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that my HMF in the tanks using aquasoil gets really nasty during cycling.

The HMF in my other tanks with brightwell/controsoil soil are nice and clean.

If you experience decreased flow and the foam looks relatively clean it most likely is the air holes in the tube near the bottom. I have had to clean mine multiple times in my most populated tanks due to it clogging.