Seeking advice on Blue Bolt tank setup

I’m looking to set up a Blue Bolt tank. I’ve kept cherry’s and crs successfully, but this will be my first technical shrimp tank build, so I would love some feedback before I pull the trigger.

By technical, I just mean, trying to do my best to keep the little buggers thriving. :)  I assume BB shrimp are going to be trickier than CRS.

I'm going to be using a previously cycled fish tank and sponge filter. (still wet from previous use).

Lighting: 13 watt T-2 lights from http://americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquariumbulb.htmlWhich so far have been awesome (except for some algal bloom).  They are the cheapest lighting solutions I've ever found.  My background is in planted freshwater.

I have a TDS meter

Inside the tank: Cholla logs, Christmas and Java Moss.

Substrate: Controsoil

Water: RODI

Additives: Salty Shrimp GH+

Food: Various Leaves from Buypetshrimp.com

Filtration: Dual Sponge

Tank Size: 10 gal

This is really as far as I’ve gotten.  I’m not sure about other additives…  should I put some kind of powder under the substrate before I put water in?  What would be good to have on hand etc.  I would love it if someone could help me fill in some blanks.

Thanks!

You seem to have a good list going there. Can you share what you mean by technical? Also, what size tank and filtration method are you planning to use? That might help folks get a better idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome, nice to see an A Lister keeping and breeding shrimp :).

Seems like your definitely on the right track and have done a fair share of research. I always recommend moss and/or driftwood, most recently I began using Teddy Bear Cholla Wood in place of driftwood.

As ChadO stated what size aquarium, filtration, lighting, etc.

As far as the substrate additives your referring the only one I would recommend as a MUST is some sort of beneficial bacteria to help jump start your cycling process.There are many different brands to choose from, I most recently used the MK Breed Z Silver Powder which I have had great results thus far.

Some random utensils that maybe of some help is a TDS Meter, I recommend the cheap TDS-EZ meter works fantastic. Shrimp Net, preferably a non-collapsible version. I am sure there are many other pieces out there, but those two I seem to use the most. 

Heheh, no.  Got your attention tho ;)  It's just a handle I've used since the infancy of the net.  One of my first email addy's used to be TomCruise@yourmom.com (not sure if it's still around) cuz my friends used to needle me for liking his movies so much.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will edit my original post in response to the questions above.

You're on the right track.

the only thing I would add is a better sponge filter.

I use Angelfish plus 4" cube sponge filter 30ppi a lots. I really like its performance. way better than any sponge filter on the market for the same size.

here is my BKK tank.

post-231-0-20617800-1438711792_thumb.jpg

the only additive I use is Glasgarten Bacter AE, I dose rice size every week, and that's it.

TDS range for my BKK tank is 110ppm-120ppm.

GH 3

Nice! Couple of ?'s. Is it better due to it's larger surface area?  I was thinking of doing 2 x dual filters so I'd have an extra one ready for if/when I wanted to start another tank.  Also what is the name of the plant? Did you give it a dip before introducing it to the tank to remove snails, algae etc?

Nice! Couple of ?'s. Is it better due to it's larger surface area?  I was thinking of doing 2 x dual filters so I'd have an extra one ready for if/when I wanted to start another tank.  Also what is the name of the plant? Did you give it a dip before introducing it to the tank to remove snails, algae etc?

It's material. It lasts forever.

Swisstropical has better lift pipe design, but cost more. 

plant is pella.

I don't have snail/algae in any tank for years.

any new plant, I put it in quarantine tank for couple months before introduce to main tanks.