My Fissidens colection

manticore

11 Species of fissidens on this image in comparition... some are not determined now that is why i wil not write directly on the image. here the main species from left to right:
Fissidens fox
Fissidens idukki
Fissidens osmundoides (probably)
Fissidens sp
Fissidens rufulus (very seldom/ new to the hobby)
Fissidens rivularis Amaria Taruya (very seldom, there are very few that are keeping it)
Fissidens incurvus
Fissidens bhgamandala
Fissidens fazal
Fisidens sp (will determine it soon)
Fissidens sp (also wil determine it soon, probably bryoides)

i hope you like them all. simply ask if you find some of these interesting and you want to have them. Fissidens invurvus, rivularis and rufulus are really seldom. None of the above species comes from Poland, these have completely different origin.

post-563-0-62748000-1443956907_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-00438500-1443956923_thumb.jpg

the water parameters at me are 6,5 pH, 275 microsiemens conductivity, i add sometimes co2, but not regularly... i have really low tech tanks. personally i use and consider best concept for mosses T5 with 6500 K, but i am sure that most LED or other light will do.

i do not use fertilisers lately, but if i would use i would work with dennerle or easy life products, i consider them the most reliable for my niche of plants.

post-563-0-53082300-1444033038_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-33803400-1444033061_thumb.jpg

an important detail:

NONE of the species presented here comes from Poland. I only got once something they called Fissidens adianthoides. well those were 3 small stems less than half inch, and it was 100 % sure that it was not adianthoides as adiantoides grows 2-6 inch long.... all you see upwards is about 80 % of the fissidens species i have at this point. most are already determined, some determinations are underway...

3 come from india: Idukki, Fazal and bhgamandala, only Idukki is a lager one from those. 

Another unpresented fissidens is now underway from jungle region. It can be something very intersteing. as soon as i get it i post you images with it.

i would kindly want to sell some of these species, for i intend buying a much better microscope and other things i need for moving deeper in this study. so if anyone can help or is interested in such mosses, i would kindly ask him/her to contact me privately. i would gladly try a win win solution.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I really enjoy your posts on these plants and your ongoing research. As to the F. Fazal, was the biotope changed by some local influence or by the greater world changes by excessive CO2 emissions?  Thanks

i do not have direct contact to the biotope of fissidens fazal. (the most other species of fissidens i know directly from nature). 

about all fissidens species live in small areas (sometimes tiny). in such cases not the entire world (like co2 emisions ) is guilty, but the local developmet of certain places. Up untill now i saw several species completely distroyed in natural habitat, and ireversable changes that lead to extinguishing species or subspecies.

Fissidens are in the world of mosses from the most seldom to be found (remote areas, local microhabitats and so on). regular people do not know to see these small plants and do not know to value them. sometimes it is a waterfall, a small pond, channel or forest. and by human development such small habitats can and are often completely modified in such a manner that the mosses, especially fissidens will not live there anymore.

it is a sad but generalised situation. the main influences that lead to loss of fissidens habitat are deforestation, hydropower plant construction and rural development.

also regarding fissidens maybe it is ok to mention that such areas can be in jungle or in places with really large predators (tigers, crocodiles, bears). up untill now i have met 3 times bears (not small ones)  when i was on the way to see for spectacular mosses (mainly fissidens).  friends of mine have similar experience regarding other large predators.

Thanks Manticore.  I know of several places here where I live in which a particular plant or animal is only found in that small area or seasonal vernal pools and no where else in the state.  We too in the U.S. have destroyed many species in our countries development over the centuries.

We had to carry pepper spray made for bears in Alaska as well as put bells on our gear to alert the animals and not to suddenly surprise them.