CO2 Generator

Kikojaharo

I sell marimo locally, and so I've tried a few different things to get them to grow faster. With a bit of googling, I'm going to try a CO2 setup.

I don't have any shrimp in this "tank" but with a airline regulator, this could easily go into a planted tank.

First is the bottle that produces the CO2. A lot of people on YouTube were using plastic water bottles, but I wanted something with a little more weight.

d4559bdb73721bcae4234fa4a8c6e681.jpg

I mixed 1 cup of sugar and 1-3/4 cups of water. I added 1/4 teaspoon of yeast to 1/4cup of warm water and added it to the bottle once the yeast was active.

There is one line leading to a "separator" to keep the yeast mixture from reaching the marimo water. I wanted to use a pint mason jar, but I have jelly in all of mines, so I made a trip to the recycling bin. If your separator is all clear, you can extend the airline from the CO2 generator into the bottom, fill it half way with water, and use it as a bubble counter.

291675ba72340715aa64634b34bb057b.jpg

The last line goes from the separator, through a check valve, and into an airstone in the marimo tank. After waiting overnight, I didn't see any activity, but I shook the yeast bottle and there was a huge amount of air waiting to bubble thought. Yeast seems active now, so I guess I just needed a jumpstart shake.

449ef4124dcd7f49c04cc5485343b2f9.jpg

I'm certainly not the first to do this, but hopefully you found it useful!

Yeah, I wouldn't trust this personally with my shrimp, but that's because I don't want to do the math of figuring an optimal CO2 rate! I'm thinking it's great for planted only/clippings tanks. One packet of yeast will last a month, and I can get 3 for $2. The rest I had lying around. Not bad for an experiment!

I've got 6 bottles running my 40b planted tank. I also enjoy my rum and coke and was using the 1.75 bottles of Bacardi before i accidentally cracked my 10 gallon tank shaking up the bottle, i just use regular soda bottles now.I have amano and rcs in the tank and they seem to be doing ok, hard to tel though with it being so heavily planted.

Btw if you use "champagne yeast" your mixture will be stronger and last longer, about an extra week compared to regular bakers yeast.

My understanding was that it is incredibly difficult to overdose on CO2 if it is being generated by yeast. For a low cost DIY project, it's fun and harmless.

I played around with a CO2 "ladder" produced by - Nutrafin, I think? It's inexpensive and efficient, particularly for something that doesn't use electricity or high pressure.

DIY works pretty well, it's good to play around with but very hard to dial in the CO2. Getting a CO2 setup isn't that much to invest in.

You'll see growth like you have never seen with a injected system.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Some of us don't want a high light, high tech system - my tank is a relaxation space. I don't want to dose every day, trim every week, or worry about losing expensive plants to algae run amuck. And "not that much" is still well out of my budget range.

In the long run, getting a CO2 unit is a lot better than DIY.

As for CO2 for Marimo Moss Balls, I don't think it's gonna help them grow any faster.

Poopians is right. Marimo balls don't benefit from CO2 injection. The reason for this is that they are algae and not plants.