DIY HMF

Pokeshrimp

e7f9fdfeed63cbfd9377db6b2330d4f0.jpg

The jetlifter is made from an old sponge filter and siphon. And the foam was $6 off ebay and its 30ppi. I'll be testing it tomorrow. Is 30ppi safe for shrimplets? And can i start cycling with a bare bottom and just add the substrate later? The internet has brightwell on backorder and i won't be getting it for another two weeks or so.

e7f9fdfeed63cbfd9377db6b2330d4f0.jpg

The jetlifter is made from an old sponge filter and siphon. And the foam was $6 off ebay and its 30ppi. I'll be testing it tomorrow. Is 30ppi safe for shrimplets? And can i start cycling with a bare bottom and just add the substrate later? The internet has brightwell on backorder and i won't be getting it for another two weeks or so.

30 is safe

I don't see why you can't start your cycle. Your DIY HMF will help establish bacteria for when you get your brightwell. Which will help establish more bacteria for your substrate. 

In my experiences I haven't noticed brightwell clouding a new tank either so dumping it in with water already in the tank shouldn't make your tank a mess. Which is a plus.

This is an opinion, but I don't see why not!

Also dang (for me) about the 30ppi. If I had known 30 was safe for shrimplets I wouldn't have gotten 45 ppi. Has been great so far, but I'm not sure if flow is equal throughout the sponge.

I don't see why you can't start your cycle. Your DIY HMF will help establish bacteria for when you get your brightwell. Which will help establish more bacteria for your substrate. 

In my experiences I haven't noticed brightwell clouding a new tank either so dumping it in with water already in the tank shouldn't make your tank a mess. Which is a plus.

This is an opinion, but I don't see why not!

Also dang (for me) about the 30ppi. If I had known 30 was safe for shrimplets I wouldn't have gotten 45 ppi. Has been great so far, but I'm not sure if flow is equal throughout the sponge.

45ppi is the primary choice but 30ppi works. 45ppi has more pores resulting in more surface area for bacteria.  I have also heard with 45ppi and higher with a sponge 2 inches  or thicker you will have an area inside the sponge that is anaerobic. The anaerobic bacteria will remove some nitrates.

• 10 months later...