HELP! Shrimp Green FUNGUS

ShrimpP

Green fungus (green moss like growth under abdomen/swimmerets)

Not happening to my shrimp, but I am asking for someone else since they are not yet a member of this forum.

Here is the thread with more information

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/975833-green-fungus-sky-blue-velvet-neos-added-pics.html

Any info is greatly appreciated and I will relay any info to the person in need.

Pretty much looking to know if all the shrimp are already doomed, or if the infected ones can just be separated and the rest are fine? Does the whole tank need to be sanitized?

Is there any cure?

What causes this?

the theory is bird poop in the big outdoor ponds causes it.  When we were in Taiwan we did not notice it in any of the farms we visited and all the neo ponds were outside.

seems to mostly infect freshly molted shrimp, easier for them to latch on when their shells are soft.

the theory is bird poop in the big outdoor ponds causes it.  When we were in Taiwan we did not notice it in any of the farms we visited and all the neo ponds were outside.

seems to mostly infect freshly molted shrimp, easier for them to latch on when their shells are soft.

Thank you very much. I will make sure no birds poop in my tanks. :thumbsu:

So hasn't this seller been shipping out infected shrimp for months now? When it happened to me, I trusted them that it was a new issue that they hadn't caught and were working towards a solution.  :(

Toss the shrimp immediately. Inform the guy you got it from because chances are this was not an isolated event

I am going to pull the infected one out and put her in the dark, I heard others had good results with that being this "thing" seems to need light to either grow or process carbohydrates from what I have found reading till late late last night.   I did inform them and they said they ship so many shrimp they do their best to catch it, but happens some times. 

Don't mess with that stuff, cull the shrimp and don't add any from that shipment to your current stock (if you have any). I would demand a refund from the seller.

I do not like killing anything if I really do not need to, so I do want to give her a chance.  Are you saying no way no how she will live so I would be putting her out of her misery? 

These 9 shrimp have a 20 gallon long with really clean water in it, no other (Intentional) critters in there.  

By clean I mean 0-Ammonia 0-Nitrite 0-10(MAX) Nitr(A)te.  

Not too many plants about 10 stands of Rotala Inica (Most at surface), Small Mermaid Weed, little Anubius, few small patches of Flame Moss, 9 (I think) AR-Mini and one Hygrophilia Compacta.  But should be enough to keep nitrates low with only 9 shrimp. 

Purigen in my Finnex 360 Mini Canister. 

I am going to pull the infected one out and put her in the dark, I heard others had good results with that being this "thing" seems to need light to either grow or process carbohydrates from what I have found reading till late late last night.   I did inform them and they said they ship so many shrimp they do their best to catch it, but happens some times. 

I do not like killing anything if I really do not need to, so I do want to give her a chance.  Are you saying no way no how she will live so I would be putting her out of her misery? 

These 9 shrimp have a 20 gallon long with really clean water in it, no other (Intentional) critters in there.  

By clean I mean 0-Ammonia 0-Nitrite 0-10(MAX) Nitr(A)te.  

Not too many plants about 10 stands of Rotala Inica (Most at surface), Small Mermaid Weed, little Anubius, few small patches of Flame Moss, 9 (I think) AR-Mini and one Hygrophilia Compacta.  But should be enough to keep nitrates low with only 9 shrimp. 

Purigen in my Finnex 360 Mini Canister.

She might live for a while, I treated one a while ago with paraguard and salt dips. It got rid of the fugus and she lived a couple months then died, I think the treatment weakened her. The main thing you don't want is to spread it to your other shrimp, but if they're the only ones you have then it's fine to try and save them. If the others don't have any they might be okay.

She might live for a while, I treated one a while ago with paraguard and salt dips. It got rid of the fugus and she lived a couple months then died, I think the treatment weakened her. The main thing you don't want is to spread it to your other shrimp, but if they're the only ones you have then it's fine to try and save them. If the others don't have any they might be okay.

The males seem to all be clean, all swimming around like crazy.  There is one more female, but she is in hiding.   I think she may have eggs or something being she used to come out.  I hope she is not also infected. 

I have been dealing with this in my tank since I first got my shrimp :(

I've set up a lovely hospice tank for the infected ones, and I put them in there as I find them. I scan my main tank constantly. Problem is, I keep finding new ones every week or two. I think that once it's in there, it's in there.

I unsuccessfully tried the paraguard/dark combination, but I didn't dose everyday. Maybe that would work better. So now the infected shrimp live out their lives in a separate 2.5 gallon tank. I can't bring myself to kill them.

Because I can never be truly sure this thing is gone from my tank, I would never give or sell these shrimp or plants to anyone.

I have been dealing with this in my tank since I first got my shrimp :(

I've set up a lovely hospice tank for the infected ones, and I put them in there as I find them. I scan my main tank constantly. Problem is, I keep finding new ones every week or two. I think that once it's in there, it's in there.

I unsuccessfully tried the paraguard/dark combination, but I didn't dose everyday. Maybe that would work better. So now the infected shrimp live out their lives in a separate 2.5 gallon tank. I can't bring myself to kill them.

Because I can never be truly sure this thing is gone from my tank, I would never give or sell these shrimp or plants to anyone.

:(  Well, at least I know where NOT to get stuff from anymore.  One of the males also has it now, so I am thinking about trying the Ick treatment on the entire tank being it's just the same shrimp from this batch and a few plants.