HELP! Shrimp Green FUNGUS

ShrimpP

Actually there was a thread talking about them in the past.

I just found this place, I was on another forum that I found the guy at. 

She died. :( 

My wife says she see the "green" on pretty much all of them.  I am going to check better tomorrow and then if they are all infected I guess ask for a refund.  I really hope she is wrong, I was going to do the right thing and just ask for a refund based on how many survive.  But for sure form of a refund, not going to get any shrimp from him again. 

I can get more from a LFS I get a discount at that can order "Blue Velvet shrimp" from Segrest Farms.  I know that is mass produced but I really can't afford much being went overboard on daughter for Christmas and can't afford to get high end shrimp from hobbyist and now I am a little scared to do that again.  This was my 3rd ever transaction from a forum and the first 2 went great so maybe I should quit while I am ahead.  :( 

I just found this place, I was on another forum that I found the guy at. 

She died. :(

My wife says she see the "green" on pretty much all of them.  I am going to check better tomorrow and then if they are all infected I guess ask for a refund.  I really hope she is wrong, I was going to do the right thing and just ask for a refund based on how many survive.  But for sure form of a refund, not going to get any shrimp from him again. 

I can get more from a LFS I get a discount at that can order "Blue Velvet shrimp" from Segrest Farms.  I know that is mass produced but I really can't afford much being went overboard on daughter for Christmas and can't afford to get high end shrimp from hobbyist and now I am a little scared to do that again.  This was my 3rd ever transaction from a forum and the first 2 went great so maybe I should quit while I am ahead.   :(

I know it doesnt help you much right now but we have some great breeders you can trust on this site. Just ask we can give recommendations. Sometimes it pays to pay for shipping and the good breeders are very reasonable and are not trying to make additional money on shipping... If your from CA it makes it that much easier and cheaper to ship. Most of the top breeders are in CA.

I know it doesnt help you much right now but we have some great breeders you can trust on this site. Just ask we can give recommendations. Sometimes it pays to pay for shipping and the good breeders are very reasonable and are not trying to make additional money on shipping... If your from CA it makes it that much easier and cheaper to ship. Most of the top breeders are in CA.

Sorry this happened to you :( I've always gotten great shrimp from people on this forum so that's where I would buy from.

Thanks!!!  I think I am going to just treat this tank as a hospital tank and see if any make it That is if more look infected than not in the morning when I can get a better look.  I guess I will check the for sale section on here and see who has what and for how much.  

Also I am in Michigan, so shipping here could be an issue with it being winter.  Its actually warmer than it should be, but here in Michigan it seems winter shifted some.. starts later and ends later with most of the snow at the start and then right when it used to end.  

That is why I figured if the pet store (Pet Supply Plus) orders them it will come with a bunch of other stuff already prepared for the weather.  And if they are infected I can tell the owners (Who I have known since I was born) what is wrong with them and to inform Segrest and they will send them right back or whatever. 

This just sets my plans way back.  :(  I wanted to get the blue ones going strong and then add Red Tigers to make add red and white stripes to the blue. 

I started to dosed Ich meds with the Malachite Green in it called "NOX-ICH" and hope it works. I DID forget to remove to Purigen from filter last night, so tank was crystal clear this morning. Removed that and it is recharging now to get ready to clean the tank after. 

I am not sure how long it takes, but the other female that was starting to get it (My wife sees it but my old eyes do not) was actually SWIMMING around today. She never swam ever, only crawled slow just like the 2 that died. I think she is my LAST female so I hope she is ok, there may be one more female hiding being I saw her and now I do not but no corpse. 

Also saw one of the males also has Scutariella growing from his head, so I will have to check on them and see what I should do. 

I miss that first week of shrimping when I did not know how bad my batch was and they were still fun to watch. tango_face_crying.png

Thanks again for everyones input on this!!!

And Merry Christmas Eve!!

Tom

Sorry to bump this, but have another couple questions after getting a better look at them today. 

Some of the male shrimp look clean but when swimming the front swimmerets look not as transparent.  Is that normal for them being males or is this the same "fungus" taking hold?  I tried to get a pic but its only when they are swimming and my phone does not take the pic quick enough in high res. 

Another question about Aquatic Arts.  I also bought some algae tabs from them, is this food safe to use?  I just worry being I have already been burned by they guy and I have been using them in the shrimp tank and in my main tank.  Few ghosts in there (One Giant female and some smaller boys) trying to repopulate after the rescape 6-8 weeks ago and my synocat are the only thing I am feeding in the other tank with those. 

Merry Xmas. Just caught up to this thread, you're neos and red tigers will not cross so that plan is flawed sorry. You're probably looking for orange eyed blue tigers not blue velvets. Very sorry this happened to you, but I lost about 100 super princess bee shrimp because I added shrimp that came in with 1 showing signs of that green parasite and never saw another sign of it again but had 5-10 dying a day.

If I could do it again I would have thrown the whole order out of $250+ of shrimp and asked for a refund. DO NOT BUY SHRIMP FROM SHRIMPUSA.COM either otherwise you will have this problem. Took me 6 months to get the 10 shrimp I was left with to start breeding again.

This community is very dedicated to expanding shrimp culture and knowledge and is very straight forward with good suppliers and bad suppliers. So feel free to ask you will not offend anyone.

I wish the best for you and your shrimp but for you may want to break that tank down and restart it to guarantee no more parasites

Merry Xmas. Just caught up to this thread, you're neos and red tigers will not cross so that plan is flawed sorry. You're probably looking for orange eyed blue tigers not blue velvets. Very sorry this happened to you, but I lost about 100 super princess bee shrimp because I added shrimp that came in with 1 showing signs of that green parasite and never saw another sign of it again but had 5-10 dying a day.

If I could do it again I would have thrown the whole order out of $250+ of shrimp and asked for a refund. DO NOT BUY SHRIMP FROM SHRIMPUSA.COM either otherwise you will have this problem. Took me 6 months to get the 10 shrimp I was left with to start breeding again.

This community is very dedicated to expanding shrimp culture and knowledge and is very straight forward with good suppliers and bad suppliers. So feel free to ask you will not offend anyone.

I wish the best for you and your shrimp but for you may want to break that tank down and restart it to guarantee no more parasites

Thanks, I did not mean I wanted them to cross.  I know they can't mix that is why I thought it would be cool to have them together so I have blue ones and red stripe ones for a patriotic twist. 

Ahhhhhh got ya!

Maybe try orange eye blue tigers and red tigers! You may get some cool hybrids! Also on buypetshrimp.com running a special. If you buy $75 in stuff you get a choice of 10 OEBT culls, 5 bloody Marys, 5 cars, or 4 tangerine tigers

Ahhhhhh got ya!

Maybe try orange eye blue tigers and red tigers! You may get some cool hybrids! Also on buypetshrimp.com running a special. If you buy $75 in stuff you get a choice of 10 OEBT culls, 5 bloody Marys, 5 cars, or 4 tangerine tigers

I do not want to get into that... yet.. but I did have an idea later down the line on something to breed the red tiger with.  But now that is WAY down the line. 

You should just throw the shrimp out and sanitize the whole tank.

I feel bad for the little guys, they are my pets now I do not really feel right doing that. 

I never had this parasite but as far as what I would do, I would throw out everything because it's not worth the risk.

You can try using treatments for parasites and when you think it's gone, water change and add some carbon to remove all of treatment and add a few shrimp.

I never had this parasite but as far as what I would do, I would throw out everything because it's not worth the risk.

You can try using treatments for parasites and when you think it's gone, water change and add some carbon to remove all of treatment and add a few shrimp.

I have been treating with ich medication already and have some paraguard on its way.  To be honest the time invested in the substrate is a larger loss for me than the shrimp from a time\money situation.  I mineralized 80lbs of topsoil down to 20-25lbs and it was just enough for my 55 and the left over was used for my 20long shrimp tank.  The idea was an exact "Mini-Me" of my main tank.  I wanted to breed them in the 20 and then when some get big put in the 55g that has some fish that could eat the babies.  The mirror image of the substrate was trying to create an easy way to be able to acclimate the older shrimp too big to fit into the one fish who will eat small ones mouth. 

I do have ghost shrimp successfully breeding in the 55 already being that was my "Test" of the tank for real shrimp later.  Actually the breeding ones in the tank were born in that tank.  

So you see the tossing everything out idea really derails my entire plan. :(  Really gets me mad that one bad seller could have pretty much killed off my entire plan.  

What if I drain the tank and let the substrate dry out?   Would time wise take longer but could maybe save the substrate. 

Please leave any arguments to pm each other with.

Back to the thread. The green fungus has been known to be limited to one shrimp, or spread to an entire tank colony. We've had plenty of members who have had situations of both.

And yes, if a seller is selling shrimp with that green illness, then by all means let the community know and we can make our own decisions to buy or not buy from the seller. Many times it comes in from imports. Current theory is that this is caused by dirty water. Bad behavior to me is a seller knowingly selling a shrimp that is infected to begin with.

Breeders and Keepers #3 pages 50 and 51 does not name the "green" a protozoa, but rather a systematic exogenous mycosis fungal infection. Ie. Achlya or Saprolegnia. So, while you may be correct about protozoa, there are other possible explanations as well.

Well 2 are actually looking ok other 2 are a little cloudy but no green hanging from any of them.  One of the smaller (And cloudier) ones also molted 2 times and now looks like it may be a female also.. I saw green inside of her but it is right where the saddle would be so I think it's the eggs forming.  

I am not sure if it was the lack of light, Nox-Ich, Excel or the SafeGuard but wonder if it would be good to try and keep things moving forward with these 4 shrimp.   I do have a couple that look cloudy but it could be the shell being most of mine are almost as clear as ghost shrimp so maybe I do not know what healthy looks like.  If I can clear up whatever is now causing them to go cloudy and all 4 go clear how long do you think I should wait before adding more shrimp?  OR should I wait and see if that one is a female and if babies survive in the tank first. 

I did notice when I was checking them daily for the fungus a few had head worms on them.  That is why I added the SafeGuard and I had it here already. Does that also kill internal worms in the shrimp? I also saw in one article from europe that I ran through google translate about the green fungus and they said a certain chemical seemed to help and it was a dewormer. 

I recall seeing the same fungal infection from the Breeders and Keeper Magazine#3. This issue listed a number of shrimp diseases.   This is one of the reasons I always keep an Indian almond leaves and alder cones as a prevention against fungi and bacteria. 

• 3 weeks later...

there is no cure. best thing you can do is remove it asap and start the water changes. its a filter feeding parasite, so cleaning up your water will help keep it from spreading.

True, no cure as of yet..

BACKGROUND: my experience with this class of parasite comes from my research with filter-feeding and parasitic protozoans which infect mainly calanoid copepoda, and even other shrimp and nauplii similar to those frozen mysis you find at your LFS! So basically these parasites effect most crustaceans.

So, Ellobiopsis is a parasitic Protozoa and is epiphytic, meaning it never enters the body of your shrimp, just hangs on the outside stealing it's goodies. It tends to attach itself to the base of the anterior cephalothorax, right near the swimmerets of most crustaceans affected! I'm currently developing a few invert-safe formulations of protazoan-specific pesticides. Hopefully make them plant/reef safe too eventually. I have a few compounds that should work well in theory with a very high likelihood of no detriment to the shrimp. Unfortunately in the case of my study, I have no Ellobiopsis infected shrimp nor have I ever, so I have no way to prove concept. But I guess that's fortunate in its own way. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk