Aquatic Arts

sarah

I have been looking for nerite snails locally without much luck.

I looked in 2-3 local petsmart/petco stores, and I am not impressed with the quality/health of their snails.

Has anyone here ever bought anything from Aquatic Arts? They have nerites available on Amazon, and the reviews are mostly very good. Would love to hear people's experiences with this seller/store.

Ebay has good sellers for the common nerite snails and good prices but the fancier types I got at Aquatics .

• 1 year later...

Hey everybody, this is David from Aquatic Arts. I would have replied here before, but I hadn't come across this thread.

First; My business was called InvertObsession, and I later changed the name to Aquatic Arts since we started selling a lot more than inverts. Those are the only 2 names we have operated under, and we have operated under the name Aquatic Arts for years now. As some mentioned here, they did not have a good experience with us during the early days (InvertObsession) but then nothing but good experiences with Aquatic Arts. That is because we've continued to get better and better at what we do, and are past the early growing pains that we went through in the beginning. I apologize to anyone that had a bad experience with us in the past, and would invite everyone to read our reviews from the past 2-3 years. Aquatic Arts now has over 10,000 reviews across various platforms, about 99.2% of which are positive. Some of those 5-star reviews came from customers that had a problem with something during or after shipping and were impressed enough by our customer service to leave a perfect review anyway. I'm not saying mistakes never happen (as anyone in this industry will tell you), but anyone that reads through our reviews on Amazon or Ebay can quickly see that problems are not common when dealing with our company. More than half of our first-time customers come back, and we have had hundreds of customers that have ordered from us more than 10 times. I'm not trying to brag here, I just want to point out that Aquatic Arts is a very different company than InvertObsession was back when I did this as a part-time job and had no employees to help keep up.

Second; In regard to claiming we are selling tank raised shrimp when we are selling imported shrimp, there are two things to note; 1. Tank raised and imported are not mutually exclusive. There are quite a few indoor farms that produce very high quality shrimp. 2. For a while, I did personally breed every animal we sold. Once that was no longer true, we changed our listings to reflect that. There are still some things that we breed ourselves, and it is a bit unfair to assume we are/were lying about the source of our shrimp just because we began importing some things but not others.

Third; Soothing Shrimp never contacted us about this before badmouthing us on the Internet and leading people to believe we are intellectual property thieves, which to me would have been common courtesy (and a good idea from a legal standpoint). If anyone here is an experienced Amazon seller, they know that Amazon often merges catalog pages that they decide are actually the same thing. When this happens, all sellers from both listings have active offers on the merged catalog page. It's a stupid system that often merges products that are not actually the same, and you can find thousands of threads on Amazon Seller forums about this very problem. Unfortunately, this caused our pages to be merged with Soothing Shrimp's pages during the era when Amazon decided you couldn't put a brand on live animals. This was actually really bad for us, because even though our listings were much better established and had many good reviews and search engine placement, our catalog pages were getting merged into theirs. We ended up losing dozens of reviews that we had earned over the course of a year, and I lost a lot of money by having my well-established listings on Amazon merged with less established listings. Not only did I not have any interest in unethically "hijacking" someone's listing, but the fact that it happened actually cost me a substantial amount of money and set my business on Amazon back considerably. We eventually got most of the listings back, but by then many of the reviews had been lost forever. So, in summary; Nobody at my company ever hijacked Soothing Shrimp's listings, it was one of Amazon's category bots (or possibly someone with a tenuous grasp on the English language) trying to clean up duplicate products from their catalog, and in no way was it good for my business.

Ironically, I am actually involved in a lawsuit with a Florida-based company that tried for over a year to offer their products under my company's brand (hijacking). It was so bad that I had to spend thousands of dollars opening a lawsuit against them just to get them to stop, and even then they wouldn't stop trying to sell under our brand until Amazon made them stop. Before that, dozens of our customers were duped into buying from them when they thought they were buying from us.

If anyone past or present has had a problem with an order from my company, I encourage you to contact us. If for some reason you weren't taken care of in the past, even if it was years ago, I would still be happy to correct our mistake now. Just let us know in the email that I directed you to contact us again about your past problem.

They're one of the few online sellers that have, ( well, they're sold out now...?)  Hong Kong Native Bee Shrimp.  I've been wanting some for a while now. They carry a good assortment of plants.  David, are you going to have more Bee Shrimp in stock?

On 12/28/2015 at 8:57 PM, Pokeshrimp said:

http://msjinkzd.com

Never bought snails from her but have bought amanos that arrived on time and all alive.

Just got some shrimp from her 4 days ago and all of them arrived healthy and none have died yet. I have been in contact with her for a while and I would definitely recommend buying from her if she had something you wanted. 

+1 for Msjinkzd.  

Rachel is an awesome person, on top of selling great shrimp, snails and fish.  I've been buying stuff from her for years.  She always takes time to talk with you and answer any questions you may have.  In fact, I have to order a few nerites and will getting them from her.

On 2/18/2017 at 7:56 PM, LesterBee said:

They're one of the few online sellers that have, ( well, they're sold out now...?)  Hong Kong Native Bee Shrimp.  I've been wanting some for a while now. They carry a good assortment of plants.  David, are you going to have more Bee Shrimp in stock?

We actually quit carrying them. They were wild caught, and the losses were not acceptable to me from an ethical standpoint even though they were profitable. As a general rule, I'll stop carrying an animal that we don't breed ourselves if the loss rate is more than 3% over the course of a few months or it is threatened in any way in the wild. Several of my employees worked at big-box aquarium stores, and the loss of life in this industry can be pretty astounding. It might sound funny coming from someone that owns an aquatics outlet, but that's a great reason to buy from your fellow forum members/etc when you can, and ask questions about wild caught specimens when you want them.

• 2 years later...

Aquatic Arts is the BEST!  I have twice ordered freshwater shrimp from them and they threw in some extra.  All arrived alive and are doing great.  They are very accommodating about shipping dates.  I can get 5 shrimp from them for the price of 1 from my LFS.  Definitely an A+ seller.

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2017 at 4:23 PM, AquaticArts said:

Hey everybody, this is David from Aquatic Arts. I would have replied here before, but I hadn't come across this thread.

First; My business was called InvertObsession, and I later changed the name to Aquatic Arts since we started selling a lot more than inverts. Those are the only 2 names we have operated under, and we have operated under the name Aquatic Arts for years now. As some mentioned here, they did not have a good experience with us during the early days (InvertObsession) but then nothing but good experiences with Aquatic Arts. That is because we've continued to get better and better at what we do, and are past the early growing pains that we went through in the beginning. I apologize to anyone that had a bad experience with us in the past, and would invite everyone to read our reviews from the past 2-3 years. Aquatic Arts now has over 10,000 reviews across various platforms, about 99.2% of which are positive. Some of those 5-star reviews came from customers that had a problem with something during or after shipping and were impressed enough by our customer service to leave a perfect review anyway. I'm not saying mistakes never happen (as anyone in this industry will tell you), but anyone that reads through our reviews on Amazon or Ebay can quickly see that problems are not common when dealing with our company. More than half of our first-time customers come back, and we have had hundreds of customers that have ordered from us more than 10 times. I'm not trying to brag here, I just want to point out that Aquatic Arts is a very different company than InvertObsession was back when I did this as a part-time job and had no employees to help keep up.

Second; In regard to claiming we are selling tank raised shrimp when we are selling imported shrimp, there are two things to note; 1. Tank raised and imported are not mutually exclusive. There are quite a few indoor farms that produce very high quality shrimp. 2. For a while, I did personally breed every animal we sold. Once that was no longer true, we changed our listings to reflect that. There are still some things that we breed ourselves, and it is a bit unfair to assume we are/were lying about the source of our shrimp just because we began importing some things but not others.

Third; Soothing Shrimp never contacted us about this before badmouthing us on the Internet and leading people to believe we are intellectual property thieves, which to me would have been common courtesy (and a good idea from a legal standpoint). If anyone here is an experienced Amazon seller, they know that Amazon often merges catalog pages that they decide are actually the same thing. When this happens, all sellers from both listings have active offers on the merged catalog page. It's a stupid system that often merges products that are not actually the same, and you can find thousands of threads on Amazon Seller forums about this very problem. Unfortunately, this caused our pages to be merged with Soothing Shrimp's pages during the era when Amazon decided you couldn't put a brand on live animals. This was actually really bad for us, because even though our listings were much better established and had many good reviews and search engine placement, our catalog pages were getting merged into theirs. We ended up losing dozens of reviews that we had earned over the course of a year, and I lost a lot of money by having my well-established listings on Amazon merged with less established listings. Not only did I not have any interest in unethically "hijacking" someone's listing, but the fact that it happened actually cost me a substantial amount of money and set my business on Amazon back considerably. We eventually got most of the listings back, but by then many of the reviews had been lost forever. So, in summary; Nobody at my company ever hijacked Soothing Shrimp's listings, it was one of Amazon's category bots (or possibly someone with a tenuous grasp on the English language) trying to clean up duplicate products from their catalog, and in no way was it good for my business.

Ironically, I am actually involved in a lawsuit with a Florida-based company that tried for over a year to offer their products under my company's brand (hijacking). It was so bad that I had to spend thousands of dollars opening a lawsuit against them just to get them to stop, and even then they wouldn't stop trying to sell under our brand until Amazon made them stop. Before that, dozens of our customers were duped into buying from them when they thought they were buying from us.

If anyone past or present has had a problem with an order from my company, I encourage you to contact us. If for some reason you weren't taken care of in the past, even if it was years ago, I would still be happy to correct our mistake now. Just let us know in the email that I directed you to contact us again about your past problem.

I was reading all these reviews of your company after I already made a purchase and was reall nervouse but thank you for clearing a few thing up for me .... No one starts a buisness and has no hiccup so as you said it was early on in the company and now you have straightend stuff out thank you looking foward to my peacock gudgeons!!!!