Anyone do coral?

Soothing Shrimp

Will stars breed in an aquarium?

oh yeah they will. Mostly pest stars tho. They're used a lot as food in the saltwater trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asterina starfish will, but I don't know about others.

I had sand stars multiply rather well .

I collected 2 of them in a ''secret'' lagoon which is now sadly a hotel and months later had lots of tiny sand stars all over the live rocks .  As they got bigger I released them and about a year later had babies again from the original parents .

I don't know what type they were . I call them common Atlantic sand stars .

Louie, I'd love to see pics of them. How big do they get?

Do starfish eat coral?

I'm going back to the early 80s but I'll look at the picture book and see if I have a camera picture of the babies .

They were the common sand stars . I used to collect them in shallow water by stirring up sand in grassy areas I called lagoons and on piers right where the water met the air they would cling .

This type star --

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0a/66/79/0a66796f28b1d97243e822b4000956c9.jpg

Pretty. :)

Are you going to do salt or thinking about it ?

Only thing stopping me now that I picked out a light , Current Orbit and hang on skimmer is the R/O . All my faucets are those new wide mouth faucets which you cant attach the unit to and I am not keen on having it plumbed in extra bathroom under the sink .

My faucets outside are great but the RO would melt come Spring/Summer .

I have to figure this out .

Looking forward to seeing them. :)

Researching today, I found shipping frags is like shipping shrimp, only without the moss. Awesome!

I guess many sellers will only ship the frags and you have to mount them yourself.  Otherwise, if mounted- they make break during travel.

Not quite. Only a few types of corals can be shipped via priority mail. Some hardy zoas can take it, but most things need express shipping.

Right now all I have is a frag tank in terms of keeping corals but over the years I've had almost every type of coral available. My next project in terms of coral is going to be a new non-photosynthetic reef. It will only have moon lights on unless someone wants to look at it. 

I am currently restricted to nano tanks but here's my best reefer friend's 150g. If you guys want to know anything about it I can tell you more. It's gone through many changes over the years. It's at least 10 years old but I can't remember the exact number.

11342462-FB92-4033-ACD7-A8EAA4EC7286.png

I would be interested in learning more on soft coral's & kelp-type plants that can handle sub-tropical brackish water environment?

This little 5.5 G. I just set-up is for breeding Caridina Serratirostris  (Ninja shrimp) 

I would be interested in soft coral's that can handle a brackish environment> this little one I just set-up is for Caridina Serritosis  

How brackish? Anything less than SG 1.018 would not support the growth of corals and even that would be pushing it. There are many brackish and even fw sponges but they are hard to find in the trade and are not always the best looking.

Anything will do including tidal grasses or kelps that thive in a tidal zone which is the theme I trying to immitate. See my thread for in Brackish (C. Serratirostris) I don't want to take over this thread

I would be interested in learning more on soft coral's & kelp-type plants that can handle sub-tropical brackish water environment?

This little 5.5 G. I just set-up is for breeding Caridina Serratirostris  (Ninja shrimp) 

From what I understand the Ninja Shrimps pattern/colors are all over the place and they can be kept as warm water freshwater shrimp but only breed in brackish ?

Right now all I have is a frag tank in terms of keeping corals but over the years I've had almost every type of coral available. My next project in terms of coral is going to be a new non-photosynthetic reef. It will only have moon lights on unless someone wants to look at it. 

I am currently restricted to nano tanks but here's my best reefer friend's 150g. If you guys want to know anything about it I can tell you more. It's gone through many changes over the years. It's at least 10 years old but I can't remember the exact number.

11342462-FB92-4033-ACD7-A8EAA4EC7286.png

Your friends tank is stunning . Its like a public aquarium display .

• 1 month later...

Only thing stopping me now that I picked out a light , Current Orbit and hang on skimmer is the R/O . All my faucets are those new wide mouth faucets which you cant attach the unit to and I am not keen on having it plumbed in extra bathroom under the sink .

My faucets outside are great but the RO would melt come Spring/Summer .

I have to figure this out .

Do you have a washing machine hookup?

I had the same problem with my faucets, so I put a 2 way garden hose splitter on the washing machine hookup and put my RO system on one side of that.    I just leave the valve for the washer open all the time, and only open the RO side when I need it.

71bmNq4vAKL._SL1200_.jpg

Do you have a washing machine hookup?

I had the same problem with my faucets, so I put a 2 way garden hose splitter on the washing machine hookup and put my RO system on one side of that.    I just leave the valve for the washer open all the time, and only open the RO side when I need it.

71bmNq4vAKL._SL1200_.jpg

That is actually a great idea .

I was planning on just buying the water but this is an idea .

Other than my outside connections the washing machine is the only normal connection in the house . The faucets are weird shaped nonsense .

I will be putting it together in May when my wife goes to visit my daughter , lol .

Either way this might be my new water path .

Thanks

• 3 years later...

I’ve always had salt.. this tank is a high end mushroom tank with snails and a tiger star..

C8A3B3B9-04C0-45DB-B784-4ACE9D543BBF.jpeg.8cda2fbe00411c16b5f5428c8c9d2fe6.jpeg

3CC3C20E-B50A-4BD7-959D-FBB160BA1429.jpeg.e5ad9473b2beee6b3408e9034ace2b5d.jpeg

664D02B8-8F0D-4D0A-A893-A2C18F397AAF.jpeg.81f67a8ab8f41f67aa50c9fd00ba6835.jpeg

E195D6E1-1214-4C13-851E-90D5F0D7E98E.jpeg.8bed78e3cdb95a151bf7747f3641d07a.jpeg

Gotta say though..

6365C439-ADD3-40F7-B34E-C265E35E7377.jpeg.0991875a518511d8caefeb3adaff982b.jpeg

This build has been a blast. I brought a few cherry shrimp home for my GF a year ago... she couldn’t manage to kill them, so we upgraded.

love the Bees

A3282233-17D9-4FDD-BCBE-4DC52F40AD97.jpeg.eb91f86b17bcc6db9ade09001088cfc5.jpeg

4D43B33A-60AA-4786-BCEC-7AD90AA23D88.jpeg.ba2e330447962e6493c40e9b09809cfa.jpeg

F068C7AB-F53E-4763-9407-2540BE07FEF2.jpeg