Green Neo ID.

These green shrimp came out of my orange neon/sakura and golden-back/neon yellow neo colony. What's the correct name for these?post-3320-0-56020700-1452476977_thumb.jp

post-3320-0-35197600-1452476982_thumb.jp

Sorry about the worms... :/

Those are beautiful!

I was told recently on this forum that greens from oranges were called green jelly.

Jades usually have some splotches of blue and yellow on them and have a high cull rate.

They look like sub-adults and have an intense green color, which is promising! No splotches of blue or yellow. Do you know what color jades come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw on a chart that the theory is green jades come from orange.  I don't agree.

I saw a picture from the original breeder once of the jade with blue shrimp and yellow shrimp in the background.  If I were to guess, I think he spent a long time trying to create the mix to make jade.  Although this would wind up in plenty of wilds, maybe one out of a zillion *may* at random chance combine the genes just right to display both yellow dots and blue dots to make a greenish.  Selectively breeding those would give more chance at green, but would also explain why so many culls are thrown.

An extremely high quality of jade shrimp is spectacular, but few and far in between.  Look at the pic below and you can see the yellow specks, with what I consider to be a blue overlay:

8b5634e13a0253f351921f45a8949df2.jpg

Green jelly is green tissued like a BV.

The Nessie Strain I created have a dark green pigmentation without yellow pigment:

post-2-0-79847300-1444311195.jpg

And in Malaysia, there is a Lime Green neo that I haven't seen stateside:

post-2-0-63260800-1452482577_thumb.gif

post-2-0-52767400-1452482578_thumb.gif

Wow Soothing, your Nessies are beautiful. :o I'm hoping to stabilize mine, so hopefully I find a couple more in there! They're a little different than any greens I've seen. Very excited. :D

I had suspected the green jade were a result of a yellowish pigment expressed in blue pearls. After all, their yellow saddles kinda look green on their backs. But also I could see any of the blue variations of neos interbreeding with a yellow or orange for that "one out of a zillion" to show green.

My Jades sport a tiny bit of blue pigment blotches near the tail on the last 3 segments of their bodies but still an intense jade coloration on the males.

I like your too Soothing? any available???

Green Babaulti Shrimp (Caradina babaulti)?

Definitely not babaultis, but it had crossed my mind because of their lighter eyes!

They are a nice looking shrimp, too. :-)

Thank you! [emoji16] I will have to start thinking of a name now! ... They are kind of a deep lemon-lime green...

My Jades sport a tiny bit of blue pigment blotches near the tail on the last 3 segments of their bodies but still an intense jade coloration on the males.

I like your too Soothing? any available???

Same question...

• 2 weeks later...

The green shrimp are starting to gain more color. The orange/yellow shrimp they come from have the 24K gene so these green ones have little bits of fleck throughtout as well as the green/yellow neon stripe. I haven't seen them in a while which concerned me, but today I snapped a quick one of this guy. I'm thinking of calling them 24K Neon Chartreuse... and as a common name, "Slime Green neos!"

post-3320-0-01305600-1453890541_thumb.jp

Slime green! I love it!

Hopefully the green will be dominant in your breeding. Do you have a male and a fem yet?

That looks like it may have a saddle?

Yeah, you're right. It looks like a saddle so hopefully female, and if I cannot locate a male, I will likely throw her in with a deep orange neon or yellow 24K then cross those F1s with the original green mother. But I believe (really, really, REALLY hope) I saw a smaller greenish-yellow shrimp last night, maybe a juvie- hopefully a male!!! Fingers crossed!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I have two berried orange females by a male slime green. One Sakura the other more wt pattern with faint tiger stripes. Should be only a week or so now....