Splitting my 20long with HMF.

Sandovalsbco

Hello I'm writing this because someone asked me how I split my 20 longs using corner HMF filters. Figured I'd do this just in case anyone down the road wanted to know how or get an idea that can help them further along.

1f7e3ce8e317908f9ddb7f1467bf8416.jpg

Here's a drawing plan I did that kinda gives a over tank visual. (Excuse my horrible artistic skills)

My measurements and list of things needed:

-Glass pane from hardware store 9inchesX11.5 inches for glass partition.

-I purchased my two corner filters from Swiss tropicals. I ordered two small corner filters. He will want the height of the inside of the tank. For my 20 long it was 11.5 inches

-i bought some silicone from Swiss tropicals as well it was an extra 4 bucks.

1. First step I did was measure the inside dimension of the tank. NOT the outside of the tank because you'll end up with wrong measurements.

2. I personally bought my stuff from Swiss tropicals and they were great. I sent him an email with the size of the HMF that I wanted which for this tank split I did two small corner filters for one 20 long. The inside height I measured for my 20 long was 11.5 inches. He cuts the glass braces and the foam for you.

3. Next I knew that I wanted to split the tank, but I needed a piece of glass to sit in the middle of the tank from top to bottom but not all the way from front to back. In the picture you can see the dark line in the middle of the tank doesn't reach all the way to the back to allow for a common water flow area that keeps the tank separate still. The measurement for this was a square piece of glass from lowes that is 11.5 inches tall x 9 inches wide.

4. I first mounted the pane of glass down the center with some silicone. This was kinda hard because it didn't reach across all the way to the back of the tank so you'll have to hold it for a bit until it's sturdy enough not to fall over. I let it dry for 6 hours before mounting the glass braces.

5. I flipped the tank over and mounted the back two braces on the back of the tank. For the small HMF filters they need to be mounted five inches from the middle of the tank. I drew the back two braces in the picture on the back of the tank to show. Once mounted they should be ten inches apart. I Let those two dry for another six hours.

6. I then had to mount the two glass braces onto the glass partition. So I had to flip the tank twice in order to do each side. I used a small 90 degree angle to measure 5 inches from the back of the tank onto the middle partition. I drew in the plans how it should look with the glass braces 5 inches from the back glass.

7. I let the tank dry for 3 days just to be safe then put in the HMF foam.

Sorry about the crappy instructions wish I would've made a video while doing this.

Here are some more pictures to give you a better visual.

535b9608d67ff518d9bf968f9b7af57f.jpg

adf835646aa892d39ccaf3f107a5cfa7.jpg

73fc63e0af1ce0637d010f5045521de8.jpg

e49a6df02304a38a45ce152b84c7213f.jpg

ede28c4829a9fb4ce6e2c7ea6a40a7e1.jpg

If you need a video to help with installation the one that I used was Christine Ha's install video on YouTube. It is only a corner install though.

http://youtu.be/_5ZcM1msdV8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has it kept shrimp out from the inner area or either side?

I love HMF but nothing is perfect and keeping shrimp from crawling to the backside is proving to be a challenge. Even with a lid sitting fairly close to the sponge one or two Houdini's figure it out.  I love the splitting concept but it might be hard to keep shrimp separated.

Honestly it's still cycling so I don't know. I have glass lids that sit pretty darn close to the top of the HMF. I have an idea that I'm going to try which is put a stainless steel mesh ledge right on top of the HMF with a slight lip to create a edge I know they can't crawl over.

Honestly it's still cycling so I don't know. I have glass lids that sit pretty darn close to the top of the HMF. I have an idea that I'm going to try which is put a stainless steel mesh ledge right on top of the HMF with a slight lip to create a edge I know they can't crawl over.

I've seen them crawl up the side of the pipe and squeeze through the gap between the pipe and sponge.  Andy (Mayphly) came up with this http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3522-mayphlys-new-shrimp-rack/page-4Look at the two center tanks on post #66. I know Andy made a post explaining and showing how he did it but I cant find it

Wow I did pretty much that except I used two HMF corner filters. Crazy that I had the same idea as someone out there lol.