Ramshorn Snails

OMG Aquatics

Well, the shells aren't really blue.  They start out clear and turn white as calcium builds.  The bodies are brownish and because the shells are kind of translucent, it is the body that gives the shell that look.  Like if you were to place something dark behind a piece of frosted glass.

"Blue" mystery snails are the same way.

I suppose if you were to use a cool white bulb or blue leds, they could look more blue.

• 3 months later...

I have a huge population of pink, red, or gold ramshorns, not really sure what to call them... But what color are they when they interbreed with the blue ones? Has anyone done this? Does it really increase the amount of brown/black or do you get cool phenos? Here are some of my larger ones:

4e80f08a7ca12fbc42af656c03611fe4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yepper.  I used to breed ramshorns for fun.

Shell and foot color seems to be separate.  Here's what I found when combined.

yellow shell/red foot = red ramshorn

yellow shell/brown foot = brown ramshorn

clear/red foot/pink foot= Pink Ramshorn

clear shell/brown foot= "blue" ramshorn.

All these can have leopard spots as well.

Clear shells turn whitish with build up of calcium as they get older.

Cool. I'd say mine are clear/yellow shells and pink foot. So it makes them this really nice golden red, almost amber. Very pleasing to the eye.

I'm interested to see if they really get any bluer than we've seen or if those photos really are just 'shopped. Technology is a double edged sword!

They breed super fast! And easy too. Growth rate is moderately fast. Not as quick as mystery snails.

Hmm, those look better than pond snails. do they breed as fast? Do they grow as fast?

They breed very fast, but from my experience don't overpopulate. I've also never seen them go after healthy plants like pond snails sometimes do. If you're into the no tech nanotank thing, they're perfect for that.

They breed very fast, but from my experience don't overpopulate. I've also never seen them go after healthy plants like pond snails sometimes do. If you're into the no tech nanotank thing, they're perfect for that.

CAREFUL! Ramshorns DEFINITELY still eat plants.

I've see them chomping on my Hygrophila polypsperma, H. angustafolia, Staurogyne repens, Ludwigia peruensis, and Echinodorus amazonicus! Also catch them sinking on my smaller floaters (Limnobium laevigatum) once they've eaten enough to decrease the plant's buoyancy. I admit... that's pretty funny to see. [emoji14]

However, they won't eat all plant species, and it's usually only a nibble when they do since they're tiny. Another plus is they won't uproot plants like larger snails!

My mistake! I've never seen them nosh on a healthy leaf, but the only plant I have from that list is H. augustifolia. Maybe mine just get enough food between keeping the glass algae free and grabbing shrimp food leftovers. There's usually a dropped leaf or two for them, too, since I usually leave them in.

For reference, the other plants I've never seen them go after are: Ludwigia repens, L. inclinata "curly", ozelot sword, duckweed (Lemna minor), dwarf water lettuce, Anubias barteri, Egeria densa, Cryptocoryne wendtii, green temple plant, moneywort, jungle val, green cabomba, süßwassertang, and a few different mosses. 

My mistake! I've never seen them nosh on a healthy leaf, but the only plant I have from that list is H. augustifolia. Maybe mine just get enough food between keeping the glass algae free and grabbing shrimp food leftovers. There's usually a dropped leaf or two for them, too, since I usually leave them in.

For reference, the other plants I've never seen them go after are: Ludwigia repens, L. inclinata "curly", ozelot sword, duckweed (Lemna minor), dwarf water lettuce, Anubias barteri, Egeria densa, Cryptocoryne wendtii, green temple plant, moneywort, jungle val, green cabomba, süßwassertang, and a few different mosses.

They love my duckweed too! But maybe they're mistaking it for frogbit cuz it's all floating around each other. They'll only go after crypts if they start to melt, so you're right to leave the leaves in. However, I've also see them go after softer stuff like anacharis (egeria).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had both.  The leopard spots can be bred for or bred out.

Sometimes you'll see a seller advertising leopard ramshorns, which I find very misleading since as they grow older the shell become more opaque and often you won't see the spotting.

When they become opaque do they always turn the blue color or do they turn brown?

When they become opaque do they always turn the blue color or do they turn brown?

It depends on the seller. Brown ramshorns can also start out with the spots. In my experience they're also more likely to keep them in adulthood, but's it's very subtle compared to what you see in juveniles.

Corbie is correct. :)

The blue/gray only comes from a clear shell with dark body.  As the shell ages it gains more calcium and turns white.  The effect is like looking through frosted glass at something.

If the shell were clear with a red/pink body, the shell appears pink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a great blue, alcimedes!

Speaking of blues, my pink colony threw a couple recently. So now I have four color morphs (I think that's all of the common ones around?) out of just a few pinks in less than a year.

(I have only lurked but wanted to share) I love my ramshorns!

I have brown & red mostly but used to have a few pinks. I spotted a light blue leopard at petco of all places a few weeks ago that had hitched in and got them to give it to me :) They seemed to think it was a bit odd that I wanted it but I was very excited! It is close to full grown so I'm not sure when the thickening happens. I would love to get more and just try to get more of them but don't want to pay 5$ each plus shipping cause I'm cheap lol! This one is really neat though it's foot and exposed head/body is a solid cream color with light blue shell. Its been about a year now since I got my first few rams and now have mostly reds and a lot less of the brown in my tanks. From what I've read the brown should be dominant but doesn't seem so in my bunch but I am certainly no expert. Does anyone know the average lifespan?  A year in and I haven't had any adults die or noticed any deaths at any size.

post-3640-0-25431600-1457988211_thumb.jp

post-3640-0-31096200-1457989464_thumb.jp

(I have only lurked but wanted to share) I love my ramshorns!...

Nice blue leopard! Wow! Let us know what happens upon interbreeding with the pinks. Also, ramshorns have the ability to store sperm for 2-4 weeks, so you might get lucky and have a fertilized female and get the first clutch full of blues!