Hydra and Planeria in Shrimp Tank

capt.dru

I have the start of a planaria problem myself, from what I saw Fenbendazole is usually recommended. Another option I found was to use No-Planaria by Genchem, but its effectiveness is questionable and I believe it is somewhat hard to procure in the U.S, Ebay has one for 17 dollars free shipping from California. 

I also found this old thread from this site

Edited by Revaria

I did some research (stop laughing Soothing) and can't find how these guys show up in an established tank.  Tons of research info on habitat and how to dispatch these critters.   Do they live in the gut of fish/shrimp and manifest when conditions are right?

I did some research (stop laughing Soothing) and can't find how these guys show up in an established tank.  Tons of research info on habitat and how to dispatch these critters.   Do they live in the gut of fish/shrimp and manifest when conditions are right?

I have often wondered about that myself, where do the little buggers come from!!

Same here. I don't know exactly how any of the common (shrimp) aquarium pests, copepods, planaria, hydra, detritus worms, seed shrimp, scuds, etc., just seem to develop out of thin air (water). I know many of them are from overfeeding, but what?, do they just grow from little mIcro-organisms (bacteria) into the visible mAcro-organisms we see with our naked eyes? Do flies or other insects lay eggs in/on our aquariums (I do know these are explanations for some "pests")? 

I used No-Planaria from Genchem in the past. Honestly though you need to find the root of the problem, planaria specifically can proliferate easier if you are over feeding your shrimp, especially in a 3g aquarium.

I used No-Planaria from Genchem in the past. Honestly though you need to find the root of the problem, planaria specifically can proliferate easier if you are over feeding your shrimp, especially in a 3g aquarium.

The planaria was caused from over feeding, still scratching my head with the hydra though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

According to the water company, "Planaria or their larvae are present in the water supply... they get to our taps. In the right conditions, they will grow. "

Same with daphnia and copapods?

Most aquatic hitch hikers come from plants or water you added from another source like a breeders or LFS. Like Soothing said sometimes planaria larvae can get through your local water company. My opinion is plants are the number source. I will put new plants in a bucket for a couple of days and treat them with Fenbendazole (dog de-wormer).

I think most shrimpers have these hitch hikers including all different kinds of other worms and not know it until an outbreak happens, most of these outbreaks occur when feeding to much.

and without any predators such as fish these pests are more visible.

Do we know that planaria and similar are common things that fish eat? I luckily have not dealt with this problem (and hopefully never will) although I've seen it at Neptune Aquatics in San Jose, and they def look gross.

8 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

According to the water company, "Planaria or their larvae are present in the water supply... they get to our taps. In the right conditions, they will grow. "

So the chlorine is not a high enough concentration to kill these buggers ?  Makes you wonder about other pathogens. I'm guessing then that they are coming in on plant material if using R/O water.  Thanks Folks

2 hours ago, oem said:

So the chlorine is not a high enough concentration to kill these buggers ?  Makes you wonder about other pathogens. I'm guessing then that they are coming in on plant material if using R/O water.  Thanks Folks

I would guess that means they have a cyst stage. Many critter's cyst stages are really hard to kill.

Here is what i used to make this. I used 1, 1gram packet of fenbendazole mixed with 200ml of hot dechlorinated tap water. Hot water is the key to dissolve most of it. Shake as long as you can. Here are the following dosages:

20ml=10gal

15ml= 7.5gal

10ml=5gal

7ml=3.5gal

5ml=2.5gal

This should make things easier for dosing and is a safe dosage for your shrimp. Mine are all still alive and well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Treated 4 of my tanks last September with fenbendazole , first tank I noticed hydra and already had planaria, the hydra came in on wood and plants from a shrimpkeepers giving up , In the treated tanks I never lost a single shrimp, hydra died within 6 hours , planaria took a second treatment , 7 months on there is no sign of a single planaria which is a pleasant surprise or hydra , this tank has Taiwan bees and mishlings and breeds fantastic and has  well over 200 shrimp all sizes , I feed baby food almost every day , and I don't subscribe to the caused by overfeeding , yes regular feeding for your babies will see planaria populate but your Taiwan bee baby survival  rate will increase, this tank has been running 16 months, since I treated the other tanks have been reset with new active soil and there are some planari but very small , only a very little new moss has been added or could they be in the soil, water is ro