Otocinclus Catfish

fernselvis

Hi Guys,

I want to breed otto's and was looking up on the web not much information.

Anyone with experience and suggestion on how top proceed?

Thank you guys in advance for all the help :)

Aren't they all wild caught because they exist in ridiculous density in the wild?

It might also be hard because their pure herbivores. Their fry may require green water.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

31 minutes ago, pucksr said:

Aren't they all wild caught because they exist in ridiculous density in the wild?

It might also be hard because their pure herbivores. Their fry may require green water.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Its not worth anyone's time due to the population and typically if people cant make money breeding something you wont find much info. I have seen them trapped in back water holes the size of a small swimming pool drying up and seen tens of thousand coming to the surface to breathe because the water is almost at dead pool. Its mind boggling the amount of otto's in the wild.

There are some breeders on the Planet Catfish forum (though don't expect a quick reply as activity isn't very high there anymore).

I was talking with a breeder about breeding some and it seems they are not very easy to breed. Well the common otos are easiest to breed with similar spawning triggers as Corydoras catfish. But the rarer otos have been reported to need acidic water/low pH (if I remember correctly low GH, KH and TDS too) to get them to breed. Of course being otos, cool temps, high flow areas, plenty of naturally grown algae and microfauna is also essential for successful breeding and rearing of fry. Still, keeping them in the proper water conditions, and even conditioning them with their diet and a large group (plenty of mating options), it has still proven difficult for many to get them to breed.

I'm no Otocinculs expert though, nor tried breeding them myself, I just was also interested in breeding some, and this is some of what I have gathered on the subject.

Maybe MsJinkzd (look her up on Google) can offer her personal experience (not a huge breeder, but has had some experience with various Oto-related fish).

15 hours ago, ShrimpP said:

There are some breeders on the Planet Catfish forum (though don't expect a quick reply as activity isn't very high there anymore).

I was talking with a breeder about breeding some and it seems they are not very easy to breed. Well the common otos are easiest to breed with similar spawning triggers as Corydoras catfish. But the rarer otos have been reported to need acidic water/low pH (if I remember correctly low GH, KH and TDS too) to get them to breed. Of course being otos, cool temps, high flow areas, plenty of naturally grown algae and microfauna is also essential for successful breeding and rearing of fry. Still, keeping them in the proper water conditions, and even conditioning them with their diet and a large group (plenty of mating options), it has still proven difficult for many to get them to breed.

I'm no Otocinculs expert though, nor tried breeding them myself, I just was also interested in breeding some, and this is some of what I have gathered on the subject.

Maybe MsJinkzd (look her up on Google) can offer her personal experience (not a huge breeder, but has had some experience with various Oto-related fish).

I'm on PlanetCatfish daily and it's pretty active.  It does on occasion take awhile to get an answer as members are all over the world so many different time zones.  There's also a thread on TPT on breeding otos -

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/900401-breeding-otocinclus-baby-cory-found.html

It's still has some activity, but not much compared to other forums, and the majority of the current activity is on Plecos. Still can find some Oto breeders that will hop on from time to time though.

Yeah, you can talk to AdamTill on the link fishface provided. He gave some tips on spawning Otos, here was some info he gave

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/900401-breeding-otocinclus-baby-cory-found-9.html#post8978113

• 3 weeks later...