Moth Catfish, Hara jerdoni

Big Blue Frog

Got 6 of these cute little rascals about 2 weeks ago.They are so engaging that I am giving up all other fish and shrimp. :lol:Anyone have  info to share? I have basic care, but would like to find out about personal experience with them, success, problems, happily ever after etc.Thank you for helping. BBF

• 8 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 7:10 AM, Big Blue Frog said:

Got 6 of these cute little rascals about 2 weeks ago.They are so engaging that I am giving up all other fish and shrimp. :lol:Anyone have  info to share? I have basic care, but would like to find out about personal experience with them, success, problems, happily ever after etc.Thank you for helping. BBF

I realize this is a bit of a dead thread resurrection..

Back in 1993 our LFS got in about 10 of these little ( roughly 1")  guys and named them "Bark Cats".. :lolu:

I had no idea what they were at the time, but they were intriguing.  They reminded me of miniature Doradidae catfish, except for their really big pectoral fin rays and tiny little tail fins.  I bought 5 thinking they would grow out a bit. They went into my heavily planted 32 gallon, and I never saw them again for almost 6 days. When I did finally see them their bellies looked full, and they were lounging around as a cozy group in a ball/mass of Java Fern. They never showed themselves much during the day, probably because I was running a 125 watt Mercury Vapor light pendant and it was damn bright.  I also had a bit of pond and miniature Ramshorn snail population in that tank and they declined slightly over the months.    I still don't know what these catfish ate, and they never really got much bigger either.  I had them for over 3 years until a bad day with the city water chemistry going wacko killed off nearly half of all my fish in that tank during a water change.  I kind of miss them, but they were so damn secretive during the day.  They would go out in a lazy shoal when the light went off, but any light shown into their tank after dark and they would evaporate back into the mosses. Their tank mates were a few Neons,  a half dozen Glowlights, a really fat old Panaque Maccus, and a mated pair of Goldeneye Dwarf ciclids. I'm beginning to suspect the H. Jerdoni might have been eating the ciclid pair's little ones.

Thank you for the input. I still have 5 of the jerdoni. They are Great hiders and I didn't see them too often. Recently moved them to a new setup and found that 5 were left.They have eaten blood worms and, although they are seldom seen eating, they are still alive and seem healthy. I also feed crushed dry pellets, crushed earth worm pellets and fine flake. No breeding yet. They have one dwarf pencil fish and a few wild Neos with them.

I fed most of the fish in that tank with Hikari Tropical color pellets, their then new, algae wafers, and an occasional treat of Baby Brine Shrimp and Mosquito larvae.

I think they may have gotten some of the leftovers, hard to imagine though as the Neons, Glowlights and the Goldeneyes were so quick to home in on any food.   I believe the algae wafers helped, as the P. Maccus was well supplied with driftwood.  There's also a good chance they found a lot of little live critters in the small grained gravel. I would find one or two of them half buried in the substrate headfirst, so I suspect they were chasing detritus worms.

I have a picture of that old tank..

DSC00047.JPG