My shrimp are dying/missing...

Alright, I am in a panic right now... I look at my water temperature, 84- 86F... So, recently I havent seen any of my shrimplets and hardly any shrimp. I had to do a bigger water change and earlier weekly water change. Right now its at 82F, but I have bad news. As I was vacuuming my tank, I found a dead adult cherry shrimp. The issue that concerns me is that its almost all black... Ill include photos, but beware, they are kinda gross. I did a 25% water change, which didnt change it. Anyways, I put in a bag with ice cubs to try and lower it, they melted in less then 10 minutes. The galaxy rasbora are doing fine, same with the otocinclus. Anyways, I feel the temperature killed off the shrimp... I am wondering how I can regulate the temperature, also by not using the air conditions because our house is always hot and we refuse to use the air conditioning... I dont know why. Would I be able to move everything into my 60 gallon tank, which is much cooler? It has 3 mollies, and 4 cories. 

Heres a photo to the 60 gallon tank: https://flic.kr/s/aHskCDvoWy

Photo of the dead shrimp: https://flic.kr/s/aHskCRcg1X

21 minutes ago, Nuthatch said:

I believe that the mollies would harass the shrimp to death.  If you have a lid on the tank I would suggest taking it off.  Are you running an air stone?  It will help oxygenate the water.

I have a air pump, just for 10 gallons though. I have it connected to a bubble wand in the back. The tank is very large, though the mollies may do that as they are somewhat curious :P

They picked at the cories when I first put them in, Just trying to think of ideas though.

A fan will help lower the temperature of your tank. I have mine set on a timer over my tiger tank to run in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Others have theirs set through a thermometer connected to their tanks, so that when the temperature goes over the set amount, the fan will turn on.

1 hour ago, Fishprinceofca said:

A fan will help lower the temperature of your tank. I have mine set on a timer over my tiger tank to run in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Others have theirs set through a thermometer connected to their tanks, so that when the temperature goes over the set amount, the fan will turn on.

What type of fan do I get, and where? I can really only go to petsmart if I was to go today and get it right now. Other then that, if you can recommend one, I have a 10 gallon tank with a top. So, any suggestions will help. My tank has lowered a bit, and is at 82F.

They make special aquarium fans, but anything you can aim at the water surface should work. Kind of depends on if you have somewhere to stand or clip a fan.

The temp is not ideal, but I don't think it is too bad.

Try a larger block of ice, like a frozen water bottle. It should be slower to melt, altho I have not tried this myself.

Max temperature for shrimps is 26 celcius go above 26 and trouble/deaths will appear. (Own experience :(

86 fahrenheit is too hot for those shrimp they can only survive couple of days in it before they will go downway to death

Do you have an HOB filter? If you do, you can remove the top and attach a small USB fan to it so it blows on the water as it flows out. I have one duct taped to my (lid-off) filter and it keeps my 20 gallon super cool even in a very hot room (I have a heater that kicks in when it gets too cold).

Agree about the lights too - LEDs are much cooler.

14 hours ago, nuri said:

If you use tl light don't use it (gives too much heat)

And open the tank surface so that heat can escape.. (heat goes above and cool air stays low)

Ive been putting small ice packs in, as well as taking off the lid, which has dropped it to 80F. 

Thanks for all the responces guys. I started to see more shrimp, I can confirm two alive adults, I have a feeling the third died :(

I have also seen a few shrimplets, lets hope this doesnt take any more damage. I ordered a fan and its on its way. With the methods explained above I have lowered to 80F in two days. Thanks for all the help!

16 hours ago, 35ppt said:

How many of degrees cooling do you get with that? What size fan? Sounds like a great setup.

Also agree LEDs are great. I have CFLs on a few and they do get pretty toasty.

I'm not sure exactly, but it's substantial. I would say the room gets up well into the mid 80s many days when we're out at work, and the tank never goes above 73. It's really working well! I frequently see the heater kick in just to keep it above 70.

I use this fan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XN24GY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This cord: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH7GUU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this plug: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073FCPSK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I taped the base of the fan to the side of the open HOB and angled the fan down so it hits the top of the filter at a slight angle so it blows on the top of the filter basket and the water flowing out. Of course, there is a ton of evaporation.

• 8 months later...

If your tank is hot, the shrimp are probably hiding in the dark spots as it should be cooler there from what I have read on the internet. What you can do to cool of the water is use a fan or a chiller which is the better option. If you cant afford a chiller, you can do it yourself if you are a bit skilled. I have made my own chiller for 1/4th of the cost of the branded stuff. You can use a Peltier block, larger heatsink with fan for the hot side and water block for the cool side, then temperature regulator and a power source. The last thing you will need is a water pump to pump the water through. You can also buy one on ebay or similar sites.

20170225_155447.jpg

20170225_155525.jpg

20170226_210006.jpg