2FT Red Army Tank

FrankyBZN

Hi All,

Starting a new journal for my new tank that I have.

Some specs:

Standard 2FT Tank (guesstimating here 60cm L x 30cm W x 35cm H)

Standard 2FT Stand

Ada Aquasoil and Powersand (aftermoving and replacing my tank most of the Ada Soil is now sand)

Spiderwood

Dragon Rock

Various Plants

Cascade 400 Internal Filter with Stocking over

100w Heater (I think)

2 x Degenboa Light Units with 2 x 10w T8 Lights (way to little in the process of upgrading to more)

+/- 20 Red Cherry Shrimp

Water is still recovering from moving and has a slight brownish tint to it....slightest movement of the substrate sends sand / dust all over the place. Its also from the spiderwood which is probably leeching some tannins in the water.

Here is a pic i took of the tank on the weekend.

DSC_0013.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

Small update....I am so happy, I upgraded my filter to a Eheim Classic 250 (2213). 

Slid a sponge filter over the Outlet Pipe to keep my fry safe and happy.

I feel that more light is available is available to the plants on the right at the back now as the internal filter was blocking it.

I also purchased all the goodies that I would need to make a DIY light unit. I will be using Led Globes (E27) I believe they are 6w Led Globes with a Temp of 6000K and 470 Lumens each. Not sure if ill be using 2 or 3 of them. 

Ferts will also be added once lights have been upgraded. Holding thumbs my vision works lol.

I will also be buying some wood to cover the stand and hide the wires and plugs and filters etc below the tank in due course.

Ps excuse the glass of the tank as it has has brown algae on it and needs to be cleaned.

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

I like it :)  Your driftwood piece and placement adds interest and looks natural.  And your plans sounds great.  I think you'll notice you'll be able to grow more plants, even an easy foreground if you wanted.  I'm just guessing, but it looks like your flourescent bulbs could've used replacing?  The brown algae will vanish once the tank is getting the right spectrum of lighting and you have plant growth to use the light, and NOT algae to catch the excess! (Balance)  Shrimp and snails love the stuff as well and is very healthy for them. 

I use the Phillips slim 10.5W bulbs on some of my heavily planted tanks,  and they grow low/med light plants very well.  They are 5000k and the colour rendition is amazing imo.   Oftentimes,  I will use them in conjuntion with 65k spiral CFLs if you don't want a warm spectrum, but the plants grow very well with just the Phillips LED.  

On 7/20/2016 at 6:42 AM, Kat said:

I like it :)  Your driftwood piece and placement adds interest and looks natural.  And your plans sounds great.  I think you'll notice you'll be able to grow more plants, even an easy foreground if you wanted.  I'm just guessing, but it looks like your flourescent bulbs could've used replacing?  The brown algae will vanish once the tank is getting the right spectrum of lighting and you have plant growth to use the light, and NOT algae to catch the excess! (Balance)  Shrimp and snails love the stuff as well and is very healthy for them. 

I use the Phillips slim 10.5W bulbs on some of my heavily planted tanks,  and they grow low/med light plants very well.  They are 5000k and the colour rendition is amazing imo.   Oftentimes,  I will use them in conjuntion with 65k spiral CFLs if you don't want a warm spectrum, but the plants grow very well with just the Phillips LED.  

Hi Kat,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes I certainly have enough Plant space. I actually have monte carlo in spots in the foreground but due to the lighting being so poor ( 2 x Degenboa Light Units with 2 x 10w T8 Light) which have been replaced in the past 3 months the plants are not growing as fast as they should and is also causing the algae.

I'll be setting up the DIY Light Unit this weekend hopefully and once its all connected ill post more pics. I'm going to have to experiment and see whether ill need 2 or 3 on over the tank as I dont want other Algae problems lol. I might connect all 3 and use them individually on Timers to simulate daylight through out the day even though they are the same temperature 6000k.

The DIY Light Unit should assist in the current plants growing a little faster which ill trim and replant the stem plants which will fill my tank nicely.

Thanks again, ill be on the look out for your threads on the forum. would like to see your tanks.

On 7/20/2016 at 9:22 PM, Shrimple minded said:

Hi Frank,

Since your metal rack is flush to the tank you could easily use magnets to secure paneling, fabric, etc. and create a really clean look.

Nice tank, and grats on the oto breeding.

Thanks Shrimple minded for the compliments and great ideas.

11 hours ago, FrankyBZN said:

Hi Kat,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes I certainly have enough Plant space. I actually have monte carlo in spots in the foreground but due to the lighting being so poor ( 2 x Degenboa Light Units with 2 x 10w T8 Light) which have been replaced in the past 3 months the plants are not growing as fast as they should and is also causing the algae.

I'll be setting up the DIY Light Unit this weekend hopefully and once its all connected ill post more pics. I'm going to have to experiment and see whether ill need 2 or 3 on over the tank as I dont want other Algae problems lol. I might connect all 3 and use them individually on Timers to simulate daylight through out the day even though they are the same temperature 6000k.

The DIY Light Unit should assist in the current plants growing a little faster which ill trim and replant the stem plants which will fill my tank nicely.

Thanks again, ill be on the look out for your threads on the forum. would like to see your tanks.

Yes!  I see the foreground plants!  Idk what Monte Carlo is tho, so I didn't comment lol!  It will def take off once you install the DIY LEDs.

But I really suggest starting off with two pods/diodes/LEDs.  As your current plants grow,  then add the third light if desired.  Just a suggestion.  Unless you add a bunch of plants when you install your DIY.  I feel 3 lights will be too much light off the getgo and algae might take advantage.  Well,  I always feel it's best to work my way up slowly and have had the best success with patience. 

Thanks for your interest in my own tanks,  I took that as a real compliment!  I have large planted tanks, lol, 6 of them,  but they are not shrimp tanks per se :(  I only have one 5g planted shrimp tank which I'm planning on changing to an 8g fluval.  Complete revamp when I do it.  I should start a journal for that one then.....

hi all,

a lil update once again. ive started with my diy lights but will only start using them from next week. currently i'm waiting for the silicone seal to cure that i tried using to attach the light fitting onto the actual light unit. 

i have acquired 4 Otto's into my tank and all seem very happy thus far.

here is a photo of  some of them.

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

• 1 month later...

hi all,

been working on my lights and its been slow progress due to other activities lol.

go 3 new globes for the unit last night and tested it...man its nice and bright.

i am still in the process of making mounts for it so it can either sit on the tank or be suspended above.

pics taken last night while testing new globes.

ps plants need a trim.

DSC_0394.JPG

Screenshot_20160905-200852.png