Why raise Mischlings?

I've seen Mischlings mentioned for sale so I had to google the term and now understand its a cross between a crystal and bee shrimp. Why is this cross done and why buy a mixed shrimp instead of a straight crystal or bee? Is it just a cheaper way to get started with cardinia shrimp?

crystal shrimp are bee shrimp. a mischling is a cross between crystal red/crystal black shrimp and taiwan bee shrimp. the reason people go that way is mischlings are cheaper than taiwan bee's. and if you keep only female mischlings with male taiwan bee you get a better chance at more tb's. 

i chose to go the more costly way and got all taiwan bee shrimp. i did not want to have to mess with sorting out the mischlings later on.

And mischief breed with OEBT give you times and pintos if my understanding is correct.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've seen Mischlings mentioned for sale so I had to google the term and now understand its a cross between a crystal and bee shrimp. Why is this cross done and why buy a mixed shrimp instead of a straight crystal or bee? Is it just a cheaper way to get started with cardinia shrimp?

it also is to strengthen the Taiwan Bee line. I use mischlings because I am going to try for pintos. There's many ways to do them. I'm trying crsxcbs x OEBT x wine reds so it will be an adventure. Do some research on them you will more than get into them eventually lol.

-Chris

ive talked with 2 of the breeders/sellers here in the us about them and they said there really is no point in mischling other than a cheaper way of getting tb. TB are way stronger now than they used to be. and by using mischlings its just kinda watering down the tb gene. i did alot of research before getting mine. i had thought about mischlings too but changed my mind once talking with the 2 i did.

• 4 weeks later...

Mischlings actually strength tb shrimp. I have seen it first hand female mischlings that product tb have better survival than tbxtb. Year and a half ago when I started breeding tb my tbxtb cross had low survival but mischlings were 2x to 3x better. Also it is a cheaper way to get tb. You can cross true mischling with true mischling and get some tb out of it

• 3 weeks later...

Mischling just means hybrid, so it can be TB mischling, Pinto mischling, .... etc.

They are good in producing more shrimps of higher value, so it made a lot of sense when TBs were very expensive. Also, mischling are normally of a lower form (crystal vs TB), so they are generally tougher, especially in the early stage of a new morph.

However, there is another aspect of it that people often overlook. It's to create different patterns. If you breed regular BKK x regular BKK, chance of getting a mosura flowerhead BKK is next to none. However, if you use mischling of different pattern, you may not get mosura or flowerhead any time soon, but you will definitely see more hinos, and then from there, you get closer and closer to mosura or flowerhead. This is really getting into the genetics, the guppy guys should get excited over this ;-)

other fact is, even the TB from mischling parents, it won't produce any mischling if you do TBxTB. that's cool.

Mischling just means hybrid, so it can be TB mischling, Pinto mischling, .... etc.

They are good in producing more shrimps of higher value, so it made a lot of sense when TBs were very expensive. Also, mischling are normally of a lower form (crystal vs TB), so they are generally tougher, especially in the early stage of a new morph.

However, there is another aspect of it that people often overlook. It's to create different patterns. If you breed regular BKK x regular BKK, chance of getting a mosura flowerhead BKK is next to none. However, if you use mischling of different pattern, you may not get mosura or flowerhead any time soon, but you will definitely see more hinos, and then from there, you get closer and closer to mosura or flowerhead. This is really getting into the genetics, the guppy guys should get excited over this ;-)

That was my theory in using mischlings. Many say you don't need them but I don't want to not have a chance at something new. I like to breed new shrimp instead of following the more common ones in TB. That's my goal right now but also want to breed other pintos and hybrids of my own.

A few reasons why I went Mischlings. 

1. Price: I paid $40 for 10 mischlings, and $150 for 13 TB's. 

2. Male to Female ratio. TB's generally produce more Males and I seen this in friends tanks. Having an all TB population that is made up of 70%+ Males.

3. Risk factor. Jumping into new shrimp can come with a learning curve and to have a $100+ investment die on you because simple mistakes is not fun.

4. End result is the same just one path is a little longer. (Plus I actually like how it looks having such a mix of colors.)

I sell my female TB mischling at the same price as my regular BKK, that's the same case in Taiwan as well. You just need to make sure you get the ones that will actually give you pretty good chance in getting more TBs.

I do the same, I get people asking all the time for all female mischlings.  at my normal 4$ a shrimp price, then they get made when I say if you want females it is 18$  They then say I will just buy TB then.  I tell them good luck, as I know I see the same thing as in a high% of males in tb

I have not noticed more male or female in my own Tb breeding tanks. Sometimes you get more males sometimes you get more females. In vol 1 of breeders and keepers, one breeder says when temperture is lower you get more females, I don't have enough evidence to agree or disagree yet, many because I only start to control tank temperature this year march, before that my tanks are at 66-68f during winter, not much breeding in that condition.

However, if you import, you will find that sometimes adult size Tb are cheaper than juvi. Guess why......

For that reason, I only ask for 0.8-1.0 cm. They acclimate better, I have almost never lost any in shipping, and I get a fair ratio of male female.

• 1 year later...

Ok so how do I set about breeding a mischling or F1 Taiwan hybrid if I can't buy one locally ? Can I cross say a female red Bee shrimp SS grade with a Wine Red Taiwan Bee or a high grade CBS crossed with say a KK panda ?

Interesting that the genetics seem to incluence gender.

It is and isn't.  I'm not sure how sex chromosomes work in shrimp (seeing as how I am still at the 'reading' stage of shrimp ownership and don't even have a tank set up yet) but mutations being more common in one sex or the other can be influenced by where in the chromosomes it falls.  Now, in mammals, usually the males are more 'fragile' due to having one X and one Y chromosome and Y chromosomes having so much less code than X ones, while females have a built in redundancy by having two X chromosomes.  That being said, I know some other animals have different sex determining chromosomes (can't remember which ones--I'm a layperson) and I do know that sometimes mutation types can make one sex have a greater or lesser survival to adult rate even in mammals.  We just see the pretty colours of the shrimps, but we don't know what may also be affected with their internal organs.  Mutations always come with risk-benefit.

Ok so how do I set about breeding a mischling or F1 Taiwan hybrid, if I can't obtain one locally ? Can I cross say a female red Bee shrimp SS grade with a Wine Red Taiwan Bee or perhaps a high grade CBS crossed with say a KK panda ?

guys, any thoughts on this, please ?

What is a Mischling?

Mischling is a German word for "crossbreed" (plural: Mischlinge).

A mischling (in the shrimp hobby) is a hybrid cross between Crystals and Taiwan Bees.

When this crossbred mischling is crossed with another CRS, it's genetics are diluted, and you get a small % of Taiwan Bees.

When mischlings are crossed with another mischling it's genetics are even more diluted. And the % of TB are even smaller to the point of never getting a TB. It's like striking Lotto.

However, when you cross a mischling back with a Taiwan Bee, you get a larger % of TBs, but with the added benefit of strengthening it's gene pool when it's original parents were mixed with a CRS.

SOURCE:  http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/7637-tibee-taitibee-pinto-mischling-f1-f2-terms-explained/