Red Splotches?

Hey ShrimpSpot!

I wanted to know if you have ever encountered this as I have noticed a couple this year. I have a few shrimp that have a couple red splotches, I don't think it was genetics, I think it has popped up just within the last couple months. I have noticed three shrimp in two different aquariums, these splotches are distinct, dark, as if it were the color of a CRS red. I looked to see if fungal, but I honestly can't find any signs or symptoms. They seem to act fine, eat, and interact as normal. I would assume a molt or two would take care of it, but is just odd.

Thank you all, any feedback would be great. FYI I will get a picture up to help clarify.

DETAquarium

• 3 months later...

Hey ShrimpSpot!

So I have had these pictures for sometime, but have been working on something that would either cure this problem or figure out what it could possibly be. Check out these pictures, tell me what you think, and I will share with you some of my findings.

Sick-01.jpgSick-02.jpgSick-03.jpg

I still can't figure out if its bacterial, parasite, etc. I am leaning more towards bacterial, but I really have no clue at this point. As it comes and goes, it makes it difficult to diagnose. I will tell you I quarantined quite a few shrimp, ranging from all Taiwan Bees I have except my project tank (Pinto). It doesn't seem to cause them any problems with eating, activity, or breeding. It is purely unsightly at this point. 

Once these shrimp were quarantined I dosed them with Lowkeys Recovers, and moved my Twinstar Shrimp Version to prevent any further transfer. Again, I still can't tell if its parasitic, bacterial, or even a pheno change in genetics (highly doubt).

Let me know your thoughts and if you have experienced this at some point in your shrimping career.

I do think we should start a "pinned" thread to continue documenting all current and future diseases.

Thank you all!

DETAquarium

Thank you all for the replies. What would you do? Should I spend the effort in separating all completely out and attempt to selectively breed trait, if in fact it is part of the phenotype?

I had one a while ago that looked pretty similar. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in a while. Makes me think it was some kind of infection. But hopefully he pops back up soon!
763d159eb841913cb029593f21c88064.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

I had one a while ago that looked pretty similar. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in a while. Makes me think it was some kind of infection. But hopefully he pops back up soon!

Interesting! I have not run across anyone else with this "problem". I have noticed it comes and goes, similar to how the BB's color intensity changes from time to time. Maybe you can look extra hard to see if you still have this BB? Did you quarantine, or keep with general population?

It was already being quarantined with several other BBs and so I left them all in the tank. It could be that it lost the intensity in the red portion and just looks like one of the other BBs now. I'll take a look later.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, seaj said:

Any updates?

Thanks for asking!

I actually began treating these shrimp as if they were carriers of a disease, I segregated them, dosed a variety of immune boosters and Lowkeys Recover. After about 3-4 weeks time, over this course of time I noticed the splotches come and go, as if they changed as much as a blue bolts intensity. After this time frame I had some what given up on it being a disease or parasite and reintroduced back into population. Over time I slowly gave them less and less attention and as of today I have not noticed the splotches since.

Side note I did swap foods completely, and moved them to a different aquarium throughout the 3-4 weeks.

The spots are a result of a breakdown of the outer shell. Depending on severity of the infection it can go from rusty brown to a more severe black. Since it is external it has been known to correct itself during molts depending on severity of infection.