Glass thickness question??

CarRuby12

I'm planing on building a 24x8x8 aquarium out of glass. My question is would i be able to get a away with 1/8 glass or would i need to bump it up to 1/4 glass? Has any one done this before? Is there some sort of glass thickness table that some one could link me.

Thanks my shrimp loveing friends

I'm planing on building a 24x8x8 aquarium out of glass. My question is would i be able to get a away with 1/8 glass or would i need to bump it up to 1/4 glass? Has any one done this before? Is there some sort of glass thickness table that some one could link me.

Thanks my shrimp loveing friends

I wouldn't go any thinner than 1/4", maybe you could get away with 3/16", but I'm not sure that's even available.

• 4 weeks later...

Will you use a frame of sorts?  My understanding is the frame-less tanks use thicker glass to prevent bowing and cracking.  Not sure how tempered would factor in.  I wouldn't mind following your build.  The thought of a custom sized build is intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tempered glass is stronger than regular glass, and if you have an "accident" involving a broken tank you most likely won't be having a trip to the emergency room like you would for plate glass.

=^._.^=

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, CarRuby12 said:

I'm planing on building a 24x8x8 aquarium out of glass. My question is would i be able to get a away with 1/8 glass or would i need to bump it up to 1/4 glass?

did you ever get into this project?

I would think the 1/8" glass would bow too much.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I live by the rule "Overkill is its own reward".

1" acrylic 10g tank? Count me in!

If over engineering means a 9 comes through my front window and stops dead when it hits my 550. I call that a win/win. At least after that those angel fish will listen to me.

Note to self: build 550.