10g DSM egg crate experiment

Mr. F

So the DSM will start from seed glosso, emmersed grown Alternathera, and maybe some P. helferi. Planning on filling the egg crate with lava rock or power sand special-s just to give it a shot (though that requires another 4 hr round trip trek to SF). Then topping it all off with ~2-3" of Amazonia, which is the reason for the egg crate and lava rock in the first place; increase circulation beneath the soil and hold it all in place.

Here's the egg crate layout I went with. Easy to cut but it also cuts you easily, wear gloves.

Front view:

3d2f823b458bcec8e511419eb2150841.jpg

Top-down view:

ff24bb31a74093a03f785b253e57324e.jpg

Edit:

Decided to change up the species going in the tank. I already have some and need to order some still. Open to suggestions but this is what in planning so far.

Fauna:

TBs (BB and shadow panda)

Possibly fire reds if I can get them to survive in such a low pH

Flora:

Micranthemum "Monte Carlo"

Eleocharis "Belem"

AR mini

Hygrophila salicifolia

Hygrophila salicifolia var. "red green"

• 1 month later...
update? :geek:

Been busy lately and neglecting this project, but ask and you shall recieve.

I've plastidipped the back and left since it will be a corner tank. Made a couple small adjustments and decided on a hardscape/substrate layout.

Here's the eggcrate prepared for the new river that's gonna sweep from back left to front right.

c9d160fa2e18e266ab25940c27116dd5.jpg

8d01e066acd85e6d649cfe03527037cf.jpg

I'll be ordering some Eleo. Belem next week and I have the montecarlo I'm planning on using in the foreground, so I gotta get this tank set up and filled with substrate this weekend.

Then I will be asking for input on what plants to add the background!!!

Getting a 20" finnex 24/7 p+ for $60 and a 30" for $70 today, so I'm pretty excited and might grab two 20" :o

Will update later once I figure out this river and have the substrate in.

Looks nice,I like those stones

Where did the stones come from?........local?........or shipped?

Where did the stones come from?........local?........or shipped?

LFS in Chinatown, San Fran, CA called 6th Avenue Aquarium. They were marked $3.99/lb, which is already a buck or two less than anywhere else I've seen em, but then he gave em to me for $3.49/lb! It's a pretty cool shop and you get to net your own fish/shrimp.

But if you're just curious about getting some, they're called "okho" or "dragon" stone. They're available in a lot of places, just maybe not at this low of a price.

Still struggling with the sand river portion. Deciding how to keep it separate from the aquasoil above the eggcrate. Suggestions? I've tried think plexiglass and even thinner plastic, but it doesn't give me the look and it's not very easy to work with. I'm looking for something malleable and moldable that will harden to how I shape it, but obviously has to be shrimp safe.

• 1 month later...

I suppose I should update this since its been a month! I started the DSM on 9/8 so we're just about 10 days in. Some good growth although the yogurt method hasn't shown any results as of yet.
Day 1 FTS:
3f4e59dab0d75c4732e99af8f6ab47cb.jpg
Day 10 FTS:
d2d2098e0dbeca035d54c14fb34b66a9.jpg
Day 1 vs 10 overhead:
998b13618e1eadcf4fef6b33ec3cef0d.jpg
1d37f2e7e99b09ce13569847615f6107.jpg

Uh oh! It's that day already!

d23f128ecfd8e4e9975684e45a13b3e8.jpg
65538c93fab1e844ba6735f540221877.jpg
Final plant decisions were:
Monte Carlo
Glossostigma elatinoides (Chinese seed kind so probably not...)
Staurogyne bihar
Limnophila aromatica mini
Cuphea anagalloidea
AR mini
Alternathera rosaefolia
Staurogyne repens
Staurogyne sp. purple
Ranunculus inclinata
Lobellia cardinalis
Mini Xmas moss
Fissidens fontanus
Mini pellia

Gonna add Staurogyne Porto Velho and Pogostemon helferi red, but later on once I grow them out where they're doing good and propagate them... so I don't kill the few I have!

Suggestions on livestock!
I'll post a picture tomorrow once he plants have perked up more and the water's cleared.

This is for shrimp right :D looks amaaaaazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is for shrimp right [emoji3] looks amaaaaazing!!! You should be on the first television show of Tanked:Shrimp edition

pH has been around 6.2 (between 6.0-6.4, lol) for a few days but dropped to 6 today. Ammonia was holding at 4ppm for 3 days and now its at 2 ppm. Kh is 0-1, GH is 6-8. TDS is around 225. This was all after a very moist 2 week +1 day dry start. So Im hoping i see the ammonia go down to 0 in the next week or so.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I guess I didn't keep this forum up as much as the other one on TPT. I quickly found it wasn't glosso at all. It gets very large and kinda like half stem half grass. I don't have a close up right now but here's the tank yesterday and you can see it on the left popping up.
42ded38bc7cc5abd78ee8f39f0c2ebb4.jpg

No idea. It MOST DEFINITELY not Glosso. It looks like maybe a hygrophila sp? Very weedy/fast growing over the HC and stuff.

I'll take pics when home tomorrow.