Coral sand turning yellow!

Hello everyone,

I was just looking at the whole container and I realised that the coral sand at the back are turning yellow.

It's just the top layer and the glass at the back seems yellowish too. I'm kinda worried, what's happening here? :o 

I added an image in case I wasn't explaining clearly :) 

Thank you!

image1 (1).JPG

Probably diatomaceous growth. It's usually due to high light, excess nutrients/minerals, and/or still water. Try raising your light higher above the water's surface and try to get a little more water movement- maybe with an extra airstone.

If you're talking about the pool filter kind of stuff (diatomaceous earth) then yes, but those diatoms are all dead and crystallized.

The things I learn from this group!

Haha, that's what we're here for! It works on a microscopic level to slice up the insects' exoskeletons beyond repair. SCIENCE!

I've never seen neos or bees eat it. Amanos probably will eat it, but definitely a nerite snail. Yes you definitely need aeration for shrimp, though not that much...

Oh, I didnt know about that. I thought opening the lid once in a while would be enough. :/

Do oxygen balls count? 

If you're referring to those little tablets, I have no idea... That's a great question. I remember reading in the past (here or on TPT or somewhere) someone using them with shrimp. I'd be wary tho, do your own experimenting before introducing new chemicals to the shrimp. Does the package mention what the "oxygen balls" are made from? That may help.

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

I saw Pet Lovers selling oxygen stones, I'm checking with them now.

It is said to generate and produce oxygen for a month when immersed in water. That's not the same as circulating right?

no not the same as circulation, but the oxygen will keep the bacteria and some algae at bay. I should work to some extent, although you may still have problems with circulation issues, which is a major factor with diatom growth.

Id recommend starting with the tabs to see if the O2 increase is enough as well as moving the light source further away. If it doesnt work, you may need to go with an airstone. The circulation will for sure help with the diatoms.

oh alright! I currently have two 1cm marimo balls in my jar, so adding 1 oxygen stone will do right? [emoji4]

I've already lifted the light source much higher and away from my jar! Initially it was just directly above :/

Not sure how many you'll need, but do more experimenting and you'll find the sweet spot.

For the light... The jar isn't near a window is it? That could be a light source you may not have considered.

heres the oxygen stone thread (on TPT)

It seems to slowly release O2 for a few days while it builds a concentration, then after that the water should be saturated enough for healthy inhabitants!

You may have just found a really cool shrimp jar hack. 

Let us know how it works!

ps. still advocating for a small airstone in there, though I understand your concern.

On 8/26/2016 at 5:51 PM, Mr. F said:

Not sure how many you'll need, but do more experimenting and you'll find the sweet spot.

For the light... The jar isn't near a window is it? That could be a light source you may not have considered.

Alright!

The jar is about 1m away from the window and I usually put the blinds down when I sleep and lift it up and I'm awake. 

I made sure to place the jar so that it gets indirect sunlight only. 

Oh, I also placed a lamp about 60cm above the jar for days when the skies are quite dark.

I hope this arrangement is fine :o 

On 8/26/2016 at 10:59 PM, Mr. F said:

heres the oxygen stone thread (on TPT)

It seems to slowly release O2 for a few days while it builds a concentration, then after that the water should be saturated enough for healthy inhabitants!

You may have just found a really cool shrimp jar hack. 

Let us know how it works!

ps. still advocating for a small airstone in there, though I understand your concern.

Oooh, thank you for referring the thread! :) 

It seems to work out fine for that guy, maybe I'll try it!

But first I'll check up more on the oxygen stones first before purchasing.

Now I'm just worried that my shrimps will try to eat it :o 

I'll find a way to put the airstone in my jar if the oxygen stones doesn't work.