wild betta

Ianhamm

I only recently learned about wild type bettas when i curiously clicked the section on aquabid. Besides obvious appearance differences, how do they differ from bettas bought in cups at LFS? I love their wild look I want to build a tank and imitate the wild habitat :)))

11 hours ago, ohmiko said:

I only recently learned about wild type bettas when i curiously clicked the section on aquabid. Besides obvious appearance differences, how do they differ from bettas bought in cups at LFS? I love their wild look I want to build a tank and imitate the wild habitat :)))

they differ in many ways as most fancy bettas are from B. splendens. But most are easy to breed in biotope set up. Indeed their colors look best in those setups. I highly recommend looking into them as most are on the brink of extinction and may not be available in the future.

Which kind are almost extinct :( Im looking at aquabid and theres so many

On August 20, 2016 at 0:04 PM, Ianhamm said:

I highly recommend looking into them as most are on the brink of extinction and may not be available in the future.

This is pretty backwards. If the populations are already pressured the last thing they need is for incentivized collectors adding to the pressure. I know there are some collectors out there that say something similar in order to try to encourage people to buy from them, but it is very irresponsible and shows that they don't actually care about these animals. If there IS a species you want that is threatened or endangered, you can almost certainly find captive bred specimens.

13 hours ago, Bongo Shrimp said:

This is pretty backwards. If the populations are already pressured the last thing they need is for incentivized collectors adding to the pressure. I know there are some collectors out there that say something similar in order to try to encourage people to buy from them, but it is very irresponsible and shows that they don't actually care about these animals. If there IS a species you want that is threatened or endangered, you can almost certainly find captive bred specimens.

Did I suggest buying wild caught specimens? No. And I care quite a bit about my fish nor did I offer to sell them. I would normallyagree with you but these fish are not being overcollected as you imply, their habitats are being destroyed for Palm Oil. So before you fly off the handle take a step back and consider what would happen IF no one was collecting and breeding these fish. I know of one new species recently discovered in Borneo that showed up in the trade, and almost immediately their swamp was destroyed and they are now extinct in the wild. If not for fast thinking collectors they would be gone for good.

13 hours ago, Bongo Shrimp said:

like I said though, I normally agree with you. I think the situation is far more volatile in SE Asi though, most experts are predicting orangutan extinction within the decade and its the same habitat as betta.

I try not to support wildlife exploitation and I see what you are talking about with south American dealer quite a bit especially with ancistrus species and cichlids from Africa.

not trying to start anything, just show where I stand on this.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:27 AM, ohmiko said:

Which kind are almost extinct :( Im looking at aquabid and theres so many

sp. Api api is now assumed to be extinct in the wild. Albimarginata, brownorum, persephone, and livida are all in trouble from what my friends over there say. Almost all are being pressured by palm oil. I hear the easiest to breed is siamorientalis and splendens both of which are gorgeous and wide spread so as bogo says below, if you are worried about wild collection, they are the safest. Splendens is reportedly wild in the us now!

Hey no worries! I just wasn't sure which side you were on but its very clear you know what you are talking about. I just really have a problem with collectors doing what I mentioned above because in the end, even if over collection isn't the main problem, it certainly won't help the wild populations if it gets out of hand.

Anyways, have you ever kept Betta hendra? Here's a crappy phone pic of one of my males.

FullSizeRender%204bs_zps0oemjjeq.jpg

are they not aggressive, as in you're able to keep more than one male in the same tank? :OOO

2 minutes ago, ohmiko said:

are they not aggressive, as in you're able to keep more than one male in the same tank? :OOO

With some species, yes. It also depends on if you want to breed them or not since sometimes, even though they won't kill each other, multiple makes will bug each other just enough to keep them from spawning.

I just got a pair of Betta Smaragdina and they have spawned, its pretty fun! Apparently you can raise the spawn to young adults with minimal aggression. The spawn are not yet free swimming so I have some time to find out whether I will need to jar them as they grow...

I also keep halfmoon and halfmoon plakat bettas...

smaragdina.jpg

bettas.JPG

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:29 AM, ohmiko said:

Ooooo What species can house multiple males :) Now I'm interested

I try and keep reverse trios for both brooders to keep the males safe from being oversexed as the females will keep them from eating. You should join groups on fb and check out all the keepers. And fyi, wetspot has some nice wild betta at the moment but don't trust them to sex them. I ordered 4 pair and got one male ?

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, Bongo Shrimp said:

Hey no worries! I just wasn't sure which side you were on but its very clear you know what you are talking about. I just really have a problem with collectors doing what I mentioned above because in the end, even if over collection isn't the main problem, it certainly won't help the wild populations if it gets out of hand.

Anyways, have you ever kept Betta hendra? Here's a crappy phone pic of one of my males.

FullSizeRender%204bs_zps0oemjjeq.jpg

never kept them! Ashlea Rawlings keeps the most beautiful hendras. But I have only kept mouth brooders. Maybe ill keep an eye out for some F2s. Great looking fish!

• 3 weeks later...