Tank additives

Fishtank16

I am fairly new to shrimp tanks and overwhelmed by all the products I see for sale. I purchased a package that contains cholla wood, Indian almond leaves, alder cones and Japanese tourmaline mineral balls. My question is in what combination should these be used or is it best to use only one product at a time. Guess I was in a hurry and thought they would come with some directions. i have 2 ten gallon tanks with red cherry shrimp

20 hours ago, Nubster said:

I have Cholla wood and Guava leaf in my tank now. I'd like to get some Alder cones to add in there as well.

I love alder cones but they are good at lowering PH so go slow. I consider Scott at Tannins to be our expert when it comes leaves and cones. He is always preaching "go slow"

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/forum/48-tannin-aquatics/

• 2 weeks later...

All of them can and should be used, cholla is a natural wood hide that will attract bio film stays in permanent, Indian almond leaf will release a little tannins which are a natural anti biotic but will as a couple of weeks break down attract bio film and the shrimps will graze and eat it last 4 to 6 weeks so introduce a fresh leaf every 2 to 3 weeks, alder cones also release tannins and shrimp love grazing can be left in permanent or remove as you add new every 6 to 8 weeks don't use to many as ph can lower, many use the balls so far I have not for me the jury's out on them