Hello from New York!

miniminx136

Hello Shrimpspot members! My name is Min (or John, go by both), and although I’ve been in Shrimpspot for almost a year, I’ve never properly introduced myself until now.

I am currently a college student in my senior year, studying freshwater ecology and marine biology. I’m in the process of working on my final thesis paper which is on shrimp populations in the Great Lakes.  

I’ve gotten in the hobby of shrimping during my first year of college, and fell in love with it (one of the reasons why I quit my old major); I’ve also loved keeping marine and freshwater fish, but with shrimp it’s awesome to see the color and pattern variation that can occur in a such a few species. In my small college room, I have four separate tanks that I’ve been keeping; one for my fish , other for my Bloody Marys and Golden Back Neos that I’ve purchased from Joe’s Aqua, (doing great by the way, thank you Joe!), and another one for my Blue Bolts, and a few variety of Pintos.

Recently, I’ve decided to take the hobby a little more seriously and sell the shrimps that I’ve been breeding. Also, I’ve also got in contact with an amazing dealer who can sell me quality shrimp he bred at a very reasonable price. I’ll be sure to address if the shrimp that I’m selling is homebred by me, or imported.

In addition, I’ll never sell shrimp that seems to be sick or dying; I keep anything I import in a separate tank for at least two weeks prior to sale. This way, the shrimp can get acclimated to the water in America, and this way the shrimp that are stressed or sick can recover, or be culled. 

Anyways, enough about me, below are the pictures of my tanks and the shrimp that I keep. I really hope to get to know the members better soon, and if you have any questions for me or want to give me some tips to give me about the hobby, PLEASE feel free to message me! Thank you!

14341423_772231179585468_934062769_n (1).jpg

14341747_773600819448504_816473643_n.jpg

14341797_772231212918798_257844827_n.jpg

14348920_772231209585465_16388550_n.jpg

14383392_773600796115173_1334581395_n.jpg

14383508_773600762781843_1546858423_n.jpg

14397288_773600789448507_1503799145_n.jpg

14398014_773600742781845_2080060693_n.jpg

14398049_773600746115178_1315703954_n.jpg

Welcome!! Your shrimp look great! What kind of substrate do you use! and i just realized I never intro-ed myself either :o 

Haha thank you so much everyone! And @ohmiko, I've been using Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum as the substrate. I use it for both my Neo tank and Caridina tank, and for the most part shrimps seem to have no problem in it, but I did notice that my plants and java moss grow much quicker in that substrate. I was thinking of possibly switching the substrate on my Caridina tank; I was wondering if there anything you'd recommend? 

11 hours ago, miniminx136 said:

Haha thank you so much everyone! And @ohmiko, I've been using Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum as the substrate. I use it for both my Neo tank and Caridina tank, and for the most part shrimps seem to have no problem in it, but I did notice that my plants and java moss grow much quicker in that substrate. I was thinking of possibly switching the substrate on my Caridina tank; I was wondering if there anything you'd recommend? 

Thanks! And a lot of people have recommended ADA Amazonia, but I don't want to deal with leaking ammonia or something like that :o I don't know the brand of my shrimp soil but I bought it my LFS  and I needed a new brand since I dont remember

On 9/18/2016 at 2:09 PM, ohmiko said:

Thanks! And a lot of people have recommended ADA Amazonia, but I don't want to deal with leaking ammonia or something like that :o I don't know the brand of my shrimp soil but I bought it my LFS  and I needed a new brand since I dont remember

Ugh yea I tried ADA amazonia when I first started and it just took forever to leech the ammonia out with water changes... Almost ended up killing all my shrimp because I was impatient xD I do believe it is more suitable for the caridina shrimp though. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime in the future.  

On 9/18/2016 at 3:51 PM, Wygglz said:

Welcome Min. I went to a SUNY school for Fisheries & Wildlife for the start if my ongoing college career. We were just talking about heading east to visit the Fingerlakes again.

Thank you so much!  I was actually doing intern work during the summer at Lake Oneida and Lake Cayuga. Do you fish at the Fingerlakes by any chance? During summer, I almost went fishing everyday at one of the either lakes, and I couldn't catch a single walleye the entire summer :/ Heard the season was bad in general though 

I live in Montana now, but growing up was on Cayuga every summer. We didn't fish then, but now I would love to go back and do some Aquatic Entomology there. That is a beautiful area and I one of the few places I think about moving to.

On 9/20/2016 at 6:56 PM, Wygglz said:

I live in Montana now, but growing up was on Cayuga every summer. We didn't fish then, but now I would love to go back and do some Aquatic Entomology there. That is a beautiful area and I one of the few places I think about moving to.

It really is amazing here; I just can't stand the sun-less winters xD. And I feel like the area definitely changed in the last years I was here. The commons area in Ithaca got partially re-vamped and its really pretty. 

Out here in the winter we go to work in the dark and leave in the dark. It gets long; but the summer days are as long as the winter nights. We get out of bed after the sunrise and head to bed when it is still light as well. But we don't have many cloudy days in the year. We have some, but it is "Big Sky Country" for a reason.