No Planaria

mproia

Hi shrimpers,

I received some plants a little while back and didn't think to quarantine them.  Well unfortunately I now have Pond Snails, Planaria and Hydra in my mixeed Taiwan Bee/TiBee/Tiger tank. Why someone would give plants to another shrimper knowing that they have all of these pests in their tanks is beyond me.

I have some "No Planaria" and wanted to know if anyone has used this product lately?  My tank is a Fluval Spec V, so approximately 5 gallons. The tank contains Adults (some berried), juveniles and babies. I am worried about the younger shrimp and the berried females but I just saw a hydra floating in the water column so who knows how many are in their now.  The other day I saw them in my filter chamber as well.

I have read some of the posts on here about "No Planaria" but was looking for some more recent information. I have also read about fenbendazole but don't like the idea that it can stick around in the tank if it gets into the soil.  Which I have (ADA).  I heard that "No Planaria" is natural and will break down in a few days after use.

Thankng you in advance!

I literally just looked up what to do earlier and stumbled upon No Planaria as well! a lot of people say it's good. I read you're not supposed to feed ur shrimp when u use it. I also have a bunch of hydra in my tank and I just try to kill them with my hand/ scratch them off the surface. But today I found 3 planarias and i was so frightened I took an old toothbrush hand dragged it out :( definitely gonna buy some no planaria stuff soon. Hope someone has reviews!

You'll likely get mixed reviews on No Planaria......some people have had good results while others report horror stories.  I myself have used No Planaria twice, at the recommended dosage and followed by the recommended water change.  It completely eradicated all planaria, and all shrimp survived.  Part of me thinks that there may be some small effect on breeding and baby survival for ~1 month thereafter, but I could just be misjudging things as I didn't keep good records throughout either process.

I've also like many others used Fenbendazole to treat hydra, to great effect.  Following the recommended dosing guidelines you can find here on the forums should kill all hydra in 24-48 hours.

I'm pretty sure neither of the above treatments are snail-safe, so be sure to remove any snails you want to keep.

One last note, don't try to scrape/mash any hydra you see......they can re-grow missing body parts from segments and you could be making the problem worse.

I used noplanaria in a neocaridina tank and it worked great, and it did not hurt the shrimp. Although i could not have any snails in the tank after the treatment. Perhaps active carbon wouldd have helped. 

Great advice. One other thing, usually planeria don't swim, but rather crawl on glass or substrate.  They are flat, have an arrow head and crossed eyes.

Was what you saw swimming like a wiggling "S" in your water? Was it short with both ends rounded and crawling in your glass? Was it threadlike in your substrate? All those nematodes are harmless

All the ones I saw were totally flat and crawling on glass trying to get to the substrate for safety ? I do have some worms sticking out of the substrate tho which I assume is bc of leftover foods

6 hours ago, dao said:

I used noplanaria in a neocaridina tank and it worked great, and it did not hurt the shrimp. Although i could not have any snails in the tank after the treatment. Perhaps active carbon wouldd have helped. 

Were u not allowed to have any snails ever again in that tank????? :( I thought it was biodegradable and disappears on its own 

I see snails repopulate after treatment, leading me to believe that after some time, the tank returns to being "snail-safe".  If I had to guess I would say this is a matter of weeks moreso than months (I'd guess sometime between 2-6 weeks).

I don't know how long did I wait before putting the snails back, but I believe it was at least 3 months and they still died. Did not test afterwards. They won't die instantly though, so you can just test - if the snails are not moving at all, get them back to a different tank.

Hi Soothing,

So crawling on my glass and substrate are planaria like this:  Related image

What is on my plants and glass in various places are Hydra like this: Image result for hydra in a shrimp tank

I also saw one Hydra free floating in the aquarium.  My guess was that it was relocating.

Still apprehensive on using "No Planaria".

Ohmiko, if you use it please let me know how it goes. I will do the same.

Same :( I have my leopard Ramshorn and I have 30 ivory mystery snails coming in soon. Don't want to risk them dying 

Oh the tank I have planaria has OEBT guess that's a no for me :(

Just now, dazalea said:

do you have a different tank you can put your OEBT in ? maybe treat the tank without the shrimp in it, do be safe

Nooo I dont :( I don't see any planaria today but hopefully the ivory snails will eat all the extra food. 

The setup is about 220 gallons with 8 20longs with shrimp, 1 with filtration, 1 with heaters, and a refugium. I believe Gill dosed what the package recommends but dosed twice instead of three times as the hospital visit interrupted treatment. Also, I'm not certain what his water changes looked like (same reason) but the tanks are overstocked with plants and  moss which should have handled any ammonia, but maybe not. My TTs look like they may have a bacteria infection. But at this point unfortunately, higher priorities prevail. With no family in the area and living 45 minutes from town, work, doctor appointments, healing, and harvesting the garden are edging out tanks.

Just like to add, I added no-planaria in my RCS I haven't seen any berried shrimp or shrimplets for a while its been 2 weeks since dosed, although my snails were unaffected. I also dosed my 40B and I'm  still pulling pond/bladder snails out. In fact they are still so prolific I'm giving them away. I have 100+ snails in a tupaware that I've gathered over 2 days.

I can't understand why no planaria is considered safe just because it's a natural product, so is poisonous mushrooms , when fenbendazole is manufactured to strict control , it's used as a wormer on expensive animals and it's consistent , I treated 4 of my tanks with great success no losses including babies from newborns up , treated this time last year and it totally eradicated planaria , filter unaffected , water parameters not altered and my tanks have and still are breeding great so how it hangs about is as far as I am concerned needing proved, Fenbendazole is cheap and easy to buy in most pet stores , easy to work out doses and as long as is mixed well to try and make it soluable works great, at the time there were reports of deaths due to no planaria

the tank in the photos was treated by fenbendazole almost 13 months ago is a mixed tb mishling and the batch of Taiwan bees has just been removed since treating it has produced well over 100 tbs and loads of hybrids so def no long term affects 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

anyone got some no planaria to share/spare :o( getting frustrated but dont want to spend $16. Found a yellow goldenback dead with 5 planaria feasting on it and killed them all :///

• 5 years later...