How to transfer otocinclus to another tank?

svetilda

My first shrimp tank is only 3g. It's still a home to my first cherries or their kids/grandkids/etc. ;-) In that tank I have one oto (the second one jumped out off the tank) that lives there for over a year. I have a new 7.5g now. How I can transfer the fish to the new tank? Should I wait when the tank mature? It's going to be pretty much same in terms of roomates (still shrimp but TB's, nerite snails, similar plants, friftwood, cholla wood) but now with active soil.

I know otos are very delicate fish and I'm afraid to move him but I think it'll be better for him in terms of space.

7 minutes ago, svetilda said:

My first shrimp tank is only 3g. It's still a home to my first cherries or their kids/grandkids/etc. ;-) In that tank I have one oto (the second one jumped out off the tank) that lives there for over a year. I have a new 7.5g now. How I can transfer the fish to the new tank? Should I wait when the tank mature? It's going to be pretty much same in terms of roomates (still shrimp but TB's, nerite snails, similar plants, friftwood, cholla wood) but now with active soil.

I know otos are very delicate fish and I'm afraid to move him but I think it'll be better for him in terms of space.

Like the old saying goes"if it aint broken dont fix it" LOL. Get another otto for the new tank once its gone through the cycle. If you want to transfer the fish, wait until its done cycling.

51 minutes ago, svetilda said:

Thank you, Soothing!

Thank you, Vpier! I'll wait then. The fish seems happy but, of course, not swimming much.

If the otto has food, good water and feels safe then it should be happy even though it isnt very active. When I'm being a couch potato eating pizza and watching TV, Im pretty happy.

• 3 years later...

Hi, i have two 3 litre tank, one for shrimps and the other for fishes. The algae in my shrimps tank is almost 90% gone since i got 2 ottos. My fish tank on the other hand has plenty of algae. Can i transfer 1 or both my ottos to this tank? Should i just leave them alone? Recently, i have been feeding blanched cucumber in my shrimps tanks, is that enough? Usually, how many times per week do i need to feed my ottos with 'blanched cucumber'?