OT genetics question

Wygglz

I know there are some genetics experts here and I'm hoping you can provide me some insight. With all the time recently spent in the hospital, this question came up. Redheads are known to both take anesthesia differently than other people and to have more bruising and bleeding with surgery. No problem there. However, I have recently encountered redheads whose hair lost its red in their 40s turning brown. Now I can see if it was lost in childhood, but if not until later in life, is that a genetic redhead lacking the nutrients to demonstrate the phenotype therefore still linked to these symptoms that should be known by doctors? I know, strange question, but any info would be appreciated.

It probably has more to do with the MC1R gene being turned on later in life.  That gene is responsible for coloring red hair brown.  It's pretty common for red heads to turn brown heads later in life, just as brunettes tend to go gray.  There's lots of variances with that gene though.

Check out here: http://www.myredhairgene.com/

Lisa's hair had turned a light brown with the red cast to it.  It didn't happen until about 45 with early menopause so not sure if those type of chemical changes have anything to do with it.   She has always done terrible with anesthesia and has allergic reactions to everything from latex to soaps and skin products and has to let doctors know to this day.

My grandson has BRIGHT red hair.  My daughter-in-law has strawberry blond locks and my sons mom had brownish red hair, while his hair is dark brown.  We keep learning more about DNA but still have tons of unanswered questions.  Do any of these changes occur due to environmental factors as well?