Ferts

Paden

• 5 weeks later...

Nitrates seem to be what kills shrimp when you add them, and none of the root tabs for the aquarium usually have them. I tried a heavily planted shrimp tank and failed pretty hard, I wouldn't really recommend it anymore its a pretty large pain. The most important part about the tabs would be how quickly they fall apart in the aquarium as you don't want to release all the fertilizer at once and from the reviews I read, Seachem tabs are better than API tabs. Some reports say the API tabs fall apart as soon as they hit the water, but after a few weeks or a month if you up root either tab it should fall apart in the water column regardless. I use Seachem tabs in my planted tank, but I haven't seen any results really, probably because I use a dirted tank set up.

I have a lightly planted shrimp tank, primarily slow growers, that has been doing pretty well since June 2015.

I use very light ferts at water change only. Seachem Florish (2ml per 5 gallon of RO) and I change about 10% every week in my 12 gallon.

ControlSoil as buffering substrate.

August post has full tank shots:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/947458-12-long-slow-56k-warning-2.html#post9466401

Initially I was dosing 1ml/5Gallons and tank was running out of nitrates (nitrate deficiency showing on the Anubias) so I bumped it up. 

I still get regular berries and tank seems very stable.