Maurice's new planted tank

Maurice

As some might now, I do love my planted tanks also and haven't had one in over a year so decided to set one up again.
Its a 60*45*45 starfire 
I had some time this afternoon so decided to start with the scape I had in mind.
I will still tweek here and there till im happy before I start planting

Just some pictures of how everything started

IMG_6650_zpsrsuwb0i8.jpg[/URL]

IMG_6651_zpsyyc2lrx2.jpg

IMG_6652_zps8igtjfww.jpg

IMG_6653_zpslokdzhb2.jpg

IMG_6654_zps9fo8zlzc.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsweaki9k2.jpg

I will update as I go along

oh my gosh!! The grandeur and the depth is amazing..... what are you using substrate, rock wise?

This looks like the start of something really good, and why are you putting lighting diffuser on the bottom of the tank? Is it there to distribute the weight of the rock over the glass? 

2 hours ago, Revaria said:

This looks like the start of something really good, and why are you putting lighting diffuser on the bottom of the tank? Is it there to distribute the weight of the rock over the glass? 

Not sure why he does it but most likely to help distribute weight,create a stable platform and protect the bottom. I have been doing African Cichlids for 30+ years and used light diffusers to help distribute weight, protect the bottom, create a stable platform and prevent the fishes from burying under the rocks and causing the rocks to collapse .

Thanks Sathish,

For plants, I am going with fissidens, xmas moss, flame moss and mini pelia, so basically a easy maintaining scape

Are you gonna do a yogurt method application of the mosses to the rocks? I think that would look great with this perspective!

5 hours ago, Mr. F said:

Are you gonna do a yogurt method application of the mosses to the rocks? I think that would look great with this perspective!

I was actually thinking of doing that but will tie all the moss to rocks and scape like that

5 hours ago, Vshrimp said:

Tank looks awesome. How much sieryu stones did u need for this?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks Vshrimp, i used 38kg of seiryu rock and around 30kg of play pen sand

• 3 weeks later...
Would you please clarify the" yogert method"   mentioned in Oct.6 post of Mr.F? thank you BBF

I got you BBF. So you're gonna wanna pick a moss which you would like to cover a large area, like a rock or stone, but want it to look as natural as possible (and also have lots of patience!). Take a decent sized portion of the moss and (brace yourself) blend the crap out of it until it's become little tiny pieces. Mix this with yogurt and thin in with water if necessary until you get a smooth mixture of moss saturated yogurt. The measurements aren't exact, so you kinda have to eyeball it, but just remember it only needs to stick to the surface with the yogurt and also it's a very thin layer, so a little goes a long way in this case. Take the smooth moss-yogurt mixture and, using a paintbrush (I've found a round brush works best), paint the surfaces you wish to have moss adhere to. After this cover the tank and spray once or twice daily allowing air to exchange in the process (dry start) for two weeks to allow the moss to adhere itself. After this, the tank can be flooded but will still take some time for the moss to fully grow in. I've seen full coverage in 12 weeks when grown completely emersed, but up to 6 months when flooded after week two. I hope that's clear enough!

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Its been way to long and haven't setup this tank yet, but will do this weekend.

I will update over the weekend how I do the yogurt method.

I have also changed the layout a little

IMG_6986_zpsxin6becf.jpg

IMG_6987_zpsbtm8jdsy.jpg

Howzat guys,

Ok, had some time to start with the dry start, firstly, vacuumed most off the play pen sand out and filled with 1 bag Ista soil, as I also decided on a ground cover in the front

IMG_7081_zpsjtxbfjji.jpg

Then I started with the blender and yogurt method, used 100ml of RO water and then 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt from woolies.
I could've blended it maybe a little finer, but I didn't want plant soup.......

IMG_7083_zpsb043f00g.jpg

IMG_7085_zps6trw3jug.jpg

Flame moss

IMG_7086_zpsgexqqdal.jpg

Fissidens

IMG_7087_zpswwc5dujd.jpg

Started planting the HC and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis first and sprayed RO water

Right side

IMG_7094_zpse0htvx9a.jpg

Left side

IMG_7095_zpslyik7vvf.jpg

Then I painted the flame moss first on both far sides of the scape, to fill in on the sides. then painted the fissidens all over, but kept some space at the back for the mini pelia, that I will plant in 2 weeks before I fill the tank.
I will plant this with super glue and then fill the tank.

IMG_7097_zpsd19ttnp9.jpg

IMG_7098_zpsbkbfpgsu.jpg

IMG_7099_zpsgqrw2nsf.jpg

IMG_7103_zps2x3yxfyr.jpg

IMG_7102_zpsu1sj2by2.jpg

Then, covered the top with cling wrap

IMG_7104_zpscucdgntk.jpg

IMG_7105_zpsrztygtmc.jpg

will leave it and spray twice a day with RO water for 2 weeks, plant the mini pelia and needle leave buce and hair grass and then fill the tank.
Will do a update again in 2 weeks after filling the tank

• 2 weeks later...
Howzat guys,

The day has finally arrived to fill the tank.
I have planted the coral moss with super glue onto the open spaces where I wanted them.
I am busy filling the tank now and the flame moss and fissidens are holding good :)

Now the cycling starts before I can add some fish....still deciding on what type of fish but most probably some sort of micro fish, ottos and shrimp will go in.

What I have noticed with the yogurt method, I am 100% sure you do not have to use yogurt, the secret lies in keeping the plants most at all times.

Well here are some photos then

IMG_7126_zpsgwyltemk.jpg

IMG_7125_zpsygv2ldo8.jpg

IMG_7124_zpswirixazj.jpg

IMG_7127_zpsboumeeqe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello guys,

Its been a while and the tank has just been ticking along, been very busy with work and had lots of brown diatoms algae as maintenance was very little.
I have added 4 ottos on Tuesday and bloody hell they awesome little cleaners.

Growth is slow as its only mosses and the lights are on for only 5 hours a day.
The fissidens and mini pellia has anchored nicely and growing good. It should take a couple of months to fill in nicely, the way I would like it.

IMG_7204_zpsposheta7.jpg

IMG_7203_zpsfasvvxuz.jpg

IMG_7202_zpsfg8mplnt.jpg

IMG_7201_zpsmxyqomot.jpg

The tank on Monday night before adding the ottos

IMG_7150_zpsygfn7gpy.jpg

This evening.....ottos are amazing little creatures :)

IMG_7200_zpsrfoxbah6.jpg

Will update again after its filled in a little more

• 5 weeks later...