Ph high, but Kh/TDS low a problem for cardina?

My tap water is really soft (~50 TDS) but the water supply adds something to the water so the ph is at 7.8-8 (so the pipes don't rust/corrode) and I'm wondering if that's an issue for cardina species? I'm adding a gh+ special shrimp salt so gh is fine.

Also have successfully bred many soft water fish species in this water if that helps.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if many tried breeding them in ph high like this. You can try with tigers which prefer slightly alkaline ph. Your best bet  would most likely be tangeriine tigers As they are Hardy shrimp. As for crs/cbs and taiwan... they prefer moderately acidic water and you have the opposite - even if they can livee in those conditions, breeding them might prove impossible. 

Bear in mind that when keeping shrimp in high ph conditions all toxins are much more deadly - so any spike in nh3 might prove fatal to your shrimp, especially those sensitive ones like taiwans and oebt. An overkill filtration system is a must. 

Generalny I would not advise this - your best bet are neocaridina and if you have a lot of experience go for sulawesi shrimp. Trying to breed shrimp that thrive in different will be a frustrating experience. 

Exactly, most use ro unit and remineralize - ro unit are fairly cheap and last a long time. You will waste more water but it is definitely the best way to go if you want to keep sensitive shrimp. You will have full control over what goes into the tank, which is very important. 

I actually have an RO System, just never set it up... looks like I have something to do on the weekend!

I asked because I currently have my CRS at ph 7.6-7.8 and there are tons of shrimplets...

Interesting About the ammonia and nitrate will definitely keep an eye on that!

There are claims that the pH itself is not a major factor for shrimp, but it is hard to tell for sure. How old are your shrimplets? It will be interesting to know if they will manage to grow in these conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
There are claims that the pH itself is not a major factor for shrimp, but it is hard to tell for sure. How old are your shrimplets? It will be interesting to know if they will manage to grow in these conditions.

They are a variety of ages, and growing fast!

I think my ph test kit is out of whack. People in my local fish club all habe much lower ph to match the low TDS. Am going to get it tested at my 2 LFS.

Also got a shrimp package today, measured ph on that and it was full blue on the API kit (7.6+). It was shipped in a breather bag with purigen, should any of that interfere with ph(ammonia or purigen)?

My mischlinge have been booming in 7.4-7.6 since I separated some out and raised the pH in their original tank that also has blue dream carbon rilis.. GH is like 6-7 KH is 1, TDS is 200ish.

• 8 months later...
Wow this is very interesting.. so it is possible to grow the Caridina shrimplets in such high pH? Even 7.4-7.6 seems pretty high...

Absolutely. In fact mine came from 7.4 ph. It's really all about what they are accustomed to. My ph is 7.2 and I have three berried in a 20 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/24/2017 at 9:50 PM, ClownPlanted said:

Absolutely. In fact mine came from 7.4 ph. It's really all about what they are accustomed to. My ph is 7.2 and I have three berried in a 20 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! so I am assuming that, over subsequent generations, the shrimplets adapt to the higher pH