Omega One Super Color Flakes

Alex99

So I just got some Omega One Super Color Flakes for my Fish. I read the ingredients and it is mainly made of Salmon, Halibut, Krill and other fish along with some Seaweed. I came to thinking this might be a great food to feed to Shrimp to give them Protein and to also enhance their color because it contains Salmon. So I took a pinch of flakes and crushed them up to almost a powder and fed it to them like I would with any other Shrimp food Powder. The results were great, my shrimp immediately went to swimming around to search for the flakes. I have been feeding them this off and on for the last couple days so I don't know yet if it helps with breeding or color.  Now I want to know if any of you have fed your Shrimp any food like this? 

I don't think anyone here really feeds their shrimp fish flake food, but I don't know if it will affect their color as most of their color comes from them being healthy, unstressed and having good genetic. Currently I believe a lot of people on this site are using Cologne shrimp food brand products such as Edge Omni Pro, some other companies include Low Keys. I know Omega has high quality protein and these flakes would give them the protein they need, but shrimp usually eat more vegetable related food as they are scavengers hence we give them blanched zucchini, cucumbers etc. Shrimp also tend to breed in higher temperatures and when food is plentiful. 

I feed flake food sometimes. I read this interview here, http://www.shrimpytrade.com/blog/item/324-silane-dilwyn-tng.html , and it made sense to me that eating flake food and powdered food is less stressful than all the shrimp fighting over one pellet. My shrimp are pretty overcrowded, so they have are very attracted to anything I put in the tank. I feed Omnia Pro as the base of their diet, them give them snowflake, guppy flakes, Bacter AE, Bacter'Bee, blanched kale, and frozen brine shrimp every once in a while.

Yeah the flake food makes sense as he is trying to replicate nature. You can also replicate the same thing by breaking up the food into smaller pieces, adding large surface area food and also using pellets which break up quickly when they hit the bottom. The only thing that really bothers me about most flake foods is the composition of them and the issue of freshness after a long period of time, but Omega is pretty good as a treat. Omega also make shrimp and lobster bites, but the ingredient list for that is a bit lacking in my taste as it is also comprised of a lot of wheat and rice after the main fishes they use. I think the nutrition they get from their food and the water parameters are more important for shrimp. Shrimp are scavengers, so they don't need too much to live off of and as long as they aren't stressed from the water parameters or a lack of food the stress from eating wouldn't be too bad unless there was only like 2 or 3 pieces of food and everyone was just waiting to eat. 

I don't think anyone here really feeds their shrimp fish flake food, but I don't know if it will affect their color as most of their color comes from them being healthy, unstressed and having good genetic. Currently I believe a lot of people on this site are using Cologne shrimp food brand products such as Edge Omni Pro, some other companies include Low Keys. I know Omega has high quality protein and these flakes would give them the protein they need, but shrimp usually eat more vegetable related food as they are scavengers hence we give them blanched zucchini, cucumbers etc. Shrimp also tend to breed in higher temperatures and when food is plentiful. 

I have always fed my shrimp flake food, there's not much different in the powders people buy sold as "Shrimp Food". Good quality food that's fresh even flake food has a ton of vitamins and minerals in it.

Taylor's Aquatics - Rare Plants & Inverts
http://www.taylorsaquatics.com

19 hours ago, ctaylor3737 said:

I have always fed my shrimp flake food, there's not much different in the powders people buy sold as "Shrimp Food". Good quality food that's fresh even flake food has a ton of vitamins and minerals in it.

It seems more people are feeding flake food as a staple than I thought lol, I apologize if I'm spreading any misinformation, I was mostly refering to a older post on this site which asked everyone what brand they were feeding at that time and a lot of people responded with CSF and some other brands which sell the sinking and powdered foods. And your right about the high quality fish flakes which can often times be better than the sinking foods depending on the manufacturer.

It seems more people are feeding flake food as a staple than I thought lol, I apologize if I'm spreading any misinformation, I was mostly refering to a older post on this site which asked everyone what brand they were feeding at that time and a lot of people responded with CSF and some other brands which sell the sinking and powdered foods. And your right about the high quality fish flakes which can often times be better than the sinking foods depending on the manufacturer.

No worries just stating my opinion on the matter, everyone does something different that works for them.

• 1 month later...

I've been feeding my shrimpettes an occasional Marineland Color Enhancing Flake since they were born. I'm new to the hobby and have been very careful not to overfeed. Since this is a very small vase jarrarium I'm also concerned about adding messy food. I like these flakes a lot, use them for my fish too in a Fluval tank, they hold their shape before disintegrating. The shrimp love them. I called the company to be sure no copper in their product and there isn't.

travellife