Has anyone had cbs from crs?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I hate to drag this back up.

I would really like to MAKE this happen.

I have a friend who is a biology teacher. She asked for some help setting up a tank for her classroom. 

I specifically thought that this might be a great species to demonstrate a genetic trait, as the red/black seems to be a single gene.

However, I am trying to think of the best way to demonstrate this concept.

A CBS tank? A mischlings tank? A mixed tank that slowly goes to black?

Any ideas from the group?

4 hours ago, pucksr said:

Hey, I hate to drag this back up.

I would really like to MAKE this happen.

I have a friend who is a biology teacher. She asked for some help setting up a tank for her classroom. 

I specifically thought that this might be a great species to demonstrate a genetic trait, as the red/black seems to be a single gene.

However, I am trying to think of the best way to demonstrate this concept.

A CBS tank? A mischlings tank? A mixed tank that slowly goes to black?

Any ideas from the group?

I say go with a mischling group....

• 1 month later...

One of my CRS threw 2 CBS about 3 months ago. The colony has been going for just over 18 months now. I can't speak for the genetics of my CRS, (bought on Ebay) but it did happen to me!

Not the best picture, but I did manage to get them both...

cbs.jpg

6 hours ago, izistar said:

I can't tell for sure cuz of the picture quality but I would say those two black look a lot like taiwan bees, You are sure that u got 100% clean CRS and not some hybrids?

I suppose anything is possible, but these are the only two that I've seen in over a year of active breeding. I've moved them to my cull tank and will post some higher quality images tomorrow.

Managed to get a few nice shots of the suspected CBS. I hadn't realized it before, but they both have a bit of red as well, one much moreso than the other.

The first two images are of the more red shrimp, and the last two are of the more black one.

cbs1.jpg

cbs2.jpg

cbs3.jpg

cbs4.jpg

cbs5.jpg

cbs6.jpg

Got in 12 'high grade' CBS from Germany a year or two back, was not over impressed with the quality when they arrived. Now three generations later some good looking higher grades are appearing having not selectively bred and last week I noticed a couple of CRS in the latest batch of CBS young.. 

Always expect surprises in this hobby.