New to inverts....

TFC

Hey y'all. The Flower Child here. AKA TFC. I have a 150 gallon, a 5 and 10 gallon tank. Love my Nano tanks. The interest in building a shrimp tank came a couple weeks ago, I attended an aquascaping workshop by Dennerle. It was awesome. They have really invaded the states with their new shrimp tank and aquascape tank set ups.  My LFS hosted this event and offered special pricing on the tanks. So needless to say I purchased two tank. i got some plants, co2,fertilizer etc....for the aqua scape tank. They sell everything you need for shrimp tanks. Special substrate, start up salts and shrimp food. I know nothing about shrimp so, this should be fun.... Can't wait to keep y'all updated . 

I will say this, I'm not allowed to start the tanks till xmas- that was the deal to get hubby to buy them for me lol. So my plan is to read your blogs etc....learn as much as I can and be ready by the first of the year....Looking forward to know all you guys... Say hey sometimes...

Xoxo Flower

Welcome to Shrimpspot and the start to a very addictive hobby.

My best advice for beginners is as follows.

1. Patience is key, don't take shortcuts otherwise it might come back to bite you.
2. Knowing what parameters your shrimps like and keeping them stable is key.
3. Get a TDS meter as its an essential.
4, Have fun with it and don't be afraid to experiment with crossbreeding. 

• 1 month later...

OMGosh...Thank you. They are less than a week old. I'm going to start with some snails... I have a number of fish in other tanks to help cycle... I read an article recently saying how important snails can be in the tank, to keep them in throughout ,even after the cycling.. Should I put a few fish in as well??? I have plenty of ember tetra's or neon's.

I'm so flattered by your compliments.. I had some great support and of course using the tissue culture plants from Dennerle. But again , Thank you, TFC

I have heard alot of people using snails during a cycle, but I have never had any luck doing that.  My snails have always bit the dust if my water wasnt just right.   That said, snails are fantastic algae eaters and can be beautiful lil things if you pick them right.  They can be an unsightly mess if you water parameters are out of control or if you feed too much.