best snail for shrimp tank

chappy6107

are they a lot better cleaners than the nerites?

Nerites are better at cleaning algae from glass and rocks, basically any hard surface, but not plants. Ramshorns do better cleaning up extra food.

Well off the top of my head they eat the leftover food, like a lot of it so I don't really have to be too careful with overfeeding. I'm not too sure about cleaning the glass though don't think a lot of snails truly do that unless theres a good amount of diatoms, but otos which are shrimp safe would clean it better, in fact with all snails most likely they may make the glass look worse cause they lay eggs. I like them because they get big enough to see so if I want to remove them I can, actually have interesting shape once they get big, they grow slowly, I actually tried to wipe them out when I first got them and pretty much succeeded, the ones I have left are the ones I saved, they don't burrow so if I ever get substrates for my shrimp tanks I don't have to worry about baby snails lurking in there, and the best part was they were free. 

yeah, they are def good for that but I dont want to put any amano's in my shrimp tanks just to be safe

True, IME, 1/4 shrimp tanks with Amanos either won't breed or get out competed for food. Or maybe they so breed and the Amanos snack on the babies? Eek!!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like keeping assassin snails in the tank as well, if you can reach a healthy balance. Assassin snails are carnivores and are famous for attacking other snails. However, what they primarily do in the wild is eat dead animals.

This works out great in a shrimp tank. If a shrimp/fish/etc dies or if you have some protein-based food that is overfed, they will consume it. They also keep your snail population in check.