Mulberry and other fruit/berry leaves

Pneumonic

So I just realized that mulberry trees grow wild where I live in Michigan and also that are many other native trees that could possibly be food sources for shrimp. Here's a list of native fruit trees in the upper midwest that "could" also be possibilities? http://msue.anr.msu.edu/uploads/files/e2747.pdf

What about a blackberry bush in my garden?

Also one other thing, if I know of mulberry leaves at a park near my house can I go collect the leaves right now? Are these supposed to be dried fresh leaves? or naturally fallen brown leaves like oak or IAL?

Huh.  I also read that they should be dried, brown and naturally fallen, or about to.   Makes sense to me as that's the way it happens in nature.  The leaves dry up and fall off the trees in the autumn and fall into the water.  If you pick them when they're green they haven't gone through the natural biological processes and still have all their chlorophyll, sugars, sap and such that can foul the water.  That being said, it's only what I've read and I haven't actually tried using dried fresh green leaves.   And a lot of the descriptions of IAL that I've bought off the internet mention that they "are dried in the sun", which to me suggests that they were picked fresh....

I use oak from the woods, away from where any pesticides or road chemicals may have been used.  I always boil them before use to kill any unwanted guests.  Oak takes longer to break down than other leaves.  I also use IAL but I buy them.  They break down quicker. 

Some leaves keep their green color even when they've dried.   Dazalea, did you buy the mulberry or pick it yourself?

I should try beech or apple leaves....  We have a lot around here and I'll bet they'd break down faster than oak.

So maybe it doesn't make a difference, or that some leaves work better one way or another.  For example, I'll bet sugar maple leaves have a lot of sugars in them when they're fresh....

With IAL, my BMs actually eat the whole leaf after its softened enough.  Everything but the stem and veins....

I got some PRLs (WOOT!) and a piece of cholla wood came with them.  I boiled it first, as I do pretty much anything I put in a tank and I noticed right away that they started eating the outer layer of the wood that had softened up from the boiling.

So they'll eat some pretty woody stuff if it's soft enough...

You know, it probably doesn't matter in the long run, as long as the tank is cleaned up regularly.  I mean, we feed them vegetables, right?  (spinach, zuchini etc...)  And those have sugars and starches and such in them. 

So in the long run, it probably doesn't matter....

4 minutes ago, TheGlassBox said:

With IAL, my BMs actually eat the whole leaf after its softened enough.  Everything but the stem and veins....

I got some PRLs (WOOT!) and a piece of cholla wood came with them.  I boiled it first, as I do pretty much anything I put in a tank and I noticed right away that they started eating the outer layer of the wood that had softened up from the boiling.

So they'll eat some pretty woody stuff if it's soft enough...

You know, it probably doesn't matter in the long run, as long as the tank is cleaned up regularly.  I mean, we feed them vegetables, right?  (spinach, zuchini etc...)  And those have sugars and starches and such in them. 

So in the long run, it probably doesn't matter....

I didn't realize that shrimp actually eat the indian almond leaf... My leaves always last forever and they don't swarm on IAL like they do with Mulberry. They treat the mulberry like they do the actual food pellets.   

I think your right about it not mattering. I just thought because all of the mulberry I've bought was green that there was a prefernce to the green leaves then brown/dead ones. I do feed mine zuchinni to and they love it.

Glad this convo is up though people can put in what they know from their own experiences! :)

Dazalea, maybe the mulberry leaves taste better LOL!  You'll have to let me know how the BMs act towards them.  If they ignore the IAL and just go for the mulberry then we have definitely found a taste preference!

:D

In my tank, they definitely preferred the IAL over the oak.   But hey, oak is tough!  Right?  I mainly use 'em for the tannins.

Next spring, when there are some fresh leaves around here (in Maine) I'll have to try it.  Maybe the sugar maples wouldn't be such a bad thing to try after all...  Who knows, maybe they have a sweet tooth!  LOL!

One of these days I'm going to try and tap those trees.  It's on my bucket list anyway...

But we should probably research the leaves to see if anyone else has tried them first...  because some things could be poisonous to them. 

Pneumonic - I wonder how they'd react to the blackberries as opposed to the leaves.  Maybe you have a secret treat growing in your garden...

:)

Indian Almond or Catalpa leaves are usually sold on line and are a good place to start because pretty much all shrimp like them. 

I found this list at:  http://scapeclub.org/forum/archive/index.php?t-7744.html

" Alder
Almond
Apple
Apricot
Ash
Banana
Beech
Cherry
Crabapple
Guava
Hibiscus
Indian Almond Leaves (aka Catappa, Ketapang)
Madrona
Maple
Mulberry
Oak
Peach
Plum
Poplar
Schefflera"

The rest of the thread is a good read...

The second pix is Oak,probably black or red; hard to tell without more info, but either is a good source of tannins and food.These are the kind I use. Dont know what the first pix is. BBF

Yeah we have a lot more pin oak around here than red. Yeah the first one are these massive leaves from trees around my park that tend to be much shorter than the oaks