Hi I'm Ben

Pneumonic

So I'm a medical student and parent of two little kids and I've had a 20 gallon community planted aquarium for four years and converted it to a riparium about 3 years ago. I always wanted shrimp and finally did it about 3 weeks ago.

I foolishly put 8 cherries in my community aquarium without thinking about plant mass, water parameters, etc. and quickly realized with my Florida flag fish and maybe my barbs they'd be in trouble.

So I quickly got started on putting together a Walstad Jarrarium. (one gallon) which once the nitrate was zero (a week ago?) I pulled out the two cherries I could find and bought four more.

So now I'm waiting for my 2.5 gallon Jarrarium to stabilize and I'll move over some of those 6 to that jar as well.

So far I've seen 3 molt in that jar and they seem happy :/?

Also I've been trying to sex them and I've been told all six are females! :/

I haven't really explored the 20 gallon to see if there are any other survivors but if not I guess I need to go buy some males? :/ I dunno.

Anyway this is me! Here are some links to my jars and 20 gallon.

The first link are the remaining shrimp: are they all female!!????!? https://imgur.com/gallery/B7vjl

My Jarrariums: https://imgur.com/gallery/OASnY

My 20 gallon has changed a bit. I've added a few plants: https://imgur.com/gallery/lLDFf

Also, here are the list of plants I have everywhere:

Riparium Plants

Pothos Vine

Ruellia simplex ‘Katie’

2 unknown house plants

Aquarium Plants

Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri)

Java Fern (Microsorum

Crypt wendtii brown (Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown')

Sword (Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius )

Telanthera Cardinalis

Ludwigia Repens

Anacharis (Egeria densa)

Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri var. nana )

Rotala rotundifolia (Rotala rotundifolia)

Pothos Vine

Monte Carlo (Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo')

Staurogyne Repens

Unkown plant in the middle, looks like Sag?

Giant Hygro

Salvinia Rotundifilia

Moss Ball

Sag Chiliensis

Pygmy Chain sword narrow leaf

Echinodorus Xingu

Littorella Uniflora

Val Americana

Sag Subulata narrowleaf

Frogbit

Lobelia cardinalis small form

2 Blyxa japonica

2 L. Aromatica

Mini xmas moss

En route from people soon:

*Najas Roraima

Flame moss

Ludwigia mini red

Most are doing well except the aromatics. Blyxa is in the 1 gallon and melted but I think it's coming back okay.

Glad to have you aboard Ben.  Looking forward to your progress both with shrimp and your goals in medical school.  That's a lot of plant material you have.  Also glad to have someone else on the North Coast verses East/West Coast.,,,,Mike

Glad to have you aboard Ben.  Looking forward to your progress both with shrimp and your goals in medical school.  That's a lot of plant material you have.  Also glad to have someone else on the North Coast verses East/West Coast.,,,,Mike

Thanks Mike! Most of it is new plants I've added in the last 2 months in my new jarrariums and in preparation for my new light I'm getting for my 20 gallon [emoji4] it's a planted + 24/7!

Hello there Ben, I'm Nick Welcome to TSS! WOW, I don't know if I could handle multiple tanks, school, AND two kids! Respect.

It does indeed look like you have all female cherries there. On the bright side they look to be fire reds or higher grade neos! :]

Thanks Nick! Yeah sometimes I don't do too good of a job handling it myself :D I'm glad they're high grade! I went back to the same LFS and got more, and I *think* I got all males but at least 1 of 3 I think must be males. after acclimating them I put one in the 2.5 gallon with my brand new resident, 2 female RCS. They all seem to be acclimating well to the different tank. I put the other 2 potential males in with everyone else in the one gallon, so we'll see what happens. 

Update pics https://imgur.com/gallery/85oVy

• 2 weeks later...