The shrimp noob needs you

shamedic

Hey so I re did the 40gallon breeder today just so it looked like it made sense cleaned the sand for the 1st time and found about 10 berried . I was very happy till I found this are this sick or is it there saddle? There is 3 of them I pulled them out till I hear from you all

IMG_0617.JPG

Hard to tell by picture quality, but the positioning would suggest that is indeed their saddle.

Ok so a update noob move here over feed have Planaria and Hydra! So I read up on killing them got my fenbendazole in the tank Few things I need to know is

1 how many times do I dose it in the tank

2 is it every 24 hrs 

3 do I need to do a WC everyday after I dosed 

ty

What kind of Fenbendazole are you using?  If you're using Fish Bendazole then the dosing is different if you're using a dog dewormer.  Fish Bendazoles is ~100% pure whereas dog de-wormer is only about 22% Fenbendazole, so you'll need to use more of it.

I've heard of folks dosing every 12 hours and others dosing every day or 2.

Here's a good link where the person was using the dog de-wormer:  http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/step-by-step-how-to-kill-planaria-and-hydra-231872.html

And here's another link from the Shrimp Spot that talks about using both strengths: 

It illustrates the importance of knowing the strength of what you have.  Hydra seem to kick the bucket first.  For planaria you might need to repeat the dosage again in a day or 2.  I'd do a water change before the 2nd dose.  I used it once to kill freshwater limpets.  Didn't work on them.  Although it's shrimp safe, some snails like are sensitive to it and you'll need to keep them out of the tank, run carbon and do lots of water changes for a few weeks before even trying to introduce them back into the tank.

Did a 5 gallon wc today b4 I dosed again hydra all gone was not many of them in the 1st place more planarian tho . Good news there are little ones all over here is a pic of the tank was at petco today almost got 3 more 40 gallon breeders but I need to sell the 240g and get a grip on the 1st tank lol

IMG_0618.JPG

If you need another dose, might want to do a 50% water change before it.  But I'd wait another 2 days before re-dosing.  I think the planaria should have kicked the bucket by then anyway.  :)  But do a big water change in 2 days just to dilute what's left.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think Im having a molting problem and just want to know how much cuttlebone I should be putting into the tank my PH is kind of high 8.2. It happenes after my females let the shrimplets free swim away within the next few days they are dead shrimplets are fine tho. The tank is a 40G breeder I have a small cuttlebone do I put in about 25% and does it dissolve they I add more?  Will the mineral balls HAN sell work in the same way

one more thing are there any foods that HAN sales that I can feed them so I don't have to put cuttlebone in the tank

I've never tried mineral balls...  I've always hidden a little piece (about 1" X 1") in my 40 gallon behind a plant.  But if the KH is good, you shouldn't have any issues.  Do you know what your KH value is?  API makes a test kit to test it.  They also sell shrimp foods that say they'll help with molting.  I've never tried any of those either, but I'm going to get some for my new PRLs this payday.  This is the one I want:  http://www.theshrimptank.com/breeding-vitamin-health-aids/mosura-gravidas-25gm/

Not sure if it'll work or not but it's a breeding aid that also says it helps with molts.

By the way, what kind of shrimp are those?  (Duhhh!)   BMs?  FR?

you get two bottles,gh and kh test.

i just file 13 my kh bottles.

kh of 3 or more makes ph stable.

higher kh can make a higher ph.

even if your ph is over 8.0,being stable is more important.

gh is what matters on molting issues.

they can have problems if gh is 10 and above or 6 and below.

7-9 is what is perfect for cherry shrimp.

i wouldn't bother with mineral balls,cuttlebone,or anything like that.

cuttlebone adds calcium in the water...there is already calcium in water.

they also need it in their diet,lots of foods made for shrimp have calcium in it.

Yup, what Zodiac said...  If your GH is at least 6, you shouldn't need any additives.  You might want to leave their molts in the tank.  I was told they would eat them and get more calcium that way.  Neo's are really easy.  I did put some cuttlebone in because I figured it couldn't hurt...  Nice color on those Cherries!  :)

Cylops or ostracods maybe?  Hard to tell without a picture...   Check out this website.  It has pictures....  The bottom 1/2 is pretty much for pond stuff.  Bht the top 1/2 has some pretty good pictures of things you might find in an aquarium.  http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/34333-Bugs-you-might-encounter-in-your-aquarium

Also, here's an article on sterilizing newly purchased aquarium plants before you put them in your tank.  Most of these kinds of pests come in on aquarium plants....   http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111

You have to scroll down a little....

Cool ty just removed a lot on my decor for better water flow and I have slowed my feeding to two times a week just order Baxter ae so I can slow down even move. When I was taking out some wood I found like 100 little shrimp