Reputable places to buy shrimp?

JenRosefl

I'm about to start a 10 gallon tank and doing research on everything before I jump in both feet. (About to start the cycle process)  

I've found many many sites that sell shrimp for varying prices. I'm looking to get some Neocardina, not sure yet if I'll get the cherrys (most likely) but am looking to see a reputable place that sells them reasonably priced. I'd love the blue ones but they are so expensive! I understand they cant be put in with cherrys or you risk them breeding bland color fry? Are there any colors of Neo that can be mixed without risk of breeding? I also have a fry tank set up, but I'd prefer to keep color lines pure. 

Thanks! 

look in the market place threads here.  many of the forum members here are EXCELLENT breeders and you will typically find better prices than many websites.  Not to mention better quality livestock.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/forum/6-the-marketplace/

Blue dreams can be kept with carbon rili, blue dream rili, but that will lower the quality of blue dream by bringing back their carbon lineage. (that only works if the blue dreams are from the rilis) 

cherries can be with red rili 

Try messaging TheGardenOfEder :)

The websites I really like to buy from are Flip Aquatics and Alpha Pro Breeders. You can also buy from some forum members and they are very trustworthy and have great shrimp. You should try to keep the neos separated by color because most combinations with different colored neos will result in offspring with a brown color.

Edited by boseiscool

i'd definitely recommend a member from shrimpspot; people here are honest and trustworthy, and will help you all the way; not to mention it's probably cheaper than to buy from a website. And its a preference but if you're looking to breed i'd recommend buying a single species. I started with bloody marys and goldenback yellows w/o much knowledge ( i didn't even cycle) but they are hardy and bred very quickly :) I purchased from Joe's Aqua, who is a reputable seller; only downfall is that they are imported, which some definitely do not prefer for justifiable reasons. If you're looking to get some blue neos, @dazalea is known to have some amazing blue dreams 

Thank you so so much for all the info! I will definitely ask members once my tank is cycled. The only experience I have with shrimp is ghost shrimp, so I definitely want a hardy breed of shrimp to start, but some color would be nice. Its very annoying trying to find the darned ghost shrimp! Thank you again!

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, miniminx136 said:

i'd definitely recommend a member from shrimpspot; people here are honest and trustworthy, and will help you all the way; not to mention it's probably cheaper than to buy from a website. And its a preference but if you're looking to breed i'd recommend buying a single species. I started with bloody marys and goldenback yellows w/o much knowledge ( i didn't even cycle) but they are hardy and bred very quickly :) I purchased from Joe's Aqua, who is a reputable seller; only downfall is that they are imported, which some definitely do not prefer for justifiable reasons. If you're looking to get some blue neos, @dazalea is known to have some amazing blue dreams 

Some of the imports are fine as there are some stock that actually hang around in the tanks in their US facilities or distributors for some time and are acclimated especially like some of Joe's Aqua, think of it being quarantined unless they are freshly imported and shipped out to the buyer.

• 4 weeks later...