DIY Aquaponics CRS ecosystem 3 week update

ddd_sss

Hi Everyone,

So 3 weeks ago I started my first shrimp tank project, it was a dual tank aquaponics setup with one tank housing a betta and one tank housing some CRS and RCS. Just wanted to share some good news! I figured that the plants in the tank, and the extra plants i'm growing the the grow bed, will keep nitrates down and hopefully maintain stable water parameters. So far for the 3 weeks I've tested my water every other day and parameters have remained stable at:

pH: 6.4

gH:7

kH:0

TDS:234 ppm

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates <5 ppm

IMG_9323.JPG

In the past 3 weeks so many wonderful things have happened, I had an RCS that i brought home who was already berried, she gave birth just 3 days after I got her so now I have a lot, and I mean A LOT of babies and so far I think I have a pretty good survival rate, I can count at least 12-14 babies at any given time. One of my PRL CRS had "the clear band of death" right under the head. I was super worried for the whole week it had it, but this morning when I checked in on her, the band was gone and she is now berried!IMG_9544.JPGIMG_9629.JPGIMG_9633.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG

1 hour ago, Mr. F said:

So cool! I love it! I've been wanting to set up a full system, buy maybe a mini version could be cool!

Thanks so much Mr. F! I wanted to start with a mini system first, this way making any adjustments or changes would be easier! These are 2.5 gal tanks...next i want to do a dual 10 gal maybe..:)

Thanks so much Mr. F! I wanted to start with a mini system first, this way making any adjustments or changes would be easier! These are 2.5 gal tanks...next i want to do a dual 10 gal maybe..:)

You've inspired me. I think the next tank might be 2x10 or 2x20L aquaponic set up...

4 hours ago, Mr. F said:

You've inspired me. I think the next tank might be 2x10 or 2x20L aquaponic set up...

:D woohoo! What a great way to start the new year! hope it goes great and feel free if you have any questions!

On 1/3/2017 at 1:28 PM, genericdan said:

What do you use to keep the shrimp from travelling through the bridge? And what thickness is the PVC? Do you have any safety measures incase the bridge clogs/flow ceases?

I've got a similar set up with a couple of 5 gallon tanks, super paranoid of mine clogging. I use sponge.

Hey Genericdan,

sorry for the late reply, was out of town snowboarding. For the water bridge, I used sponge at first however it kept getting clogged, so i switch to a stainless steel mesh that I cut out into a circle and superglued to the end. Hope that helps!

23 hours ago, ddd_sss said:

Hey Genericdan,

sorry for the late reply, was out of town snowboarding. For the water bridge, I used sponge at first however it kept getting clogged, so i switch to a stainless steel mesh that I cut out into a circle and superglued to the end. Hope that helps!

What was the mesh count/how fine was the mesh? If it's small enough to stop baby shrimp from going through, would it also be more likely to clog? 

5 minutes ago, genericdan said:

What was the mesh count/how fine was the mesh? If it's small enough to stop baby shrimp from going through, would it also be more likely to clog? 

It's not small enough to stop baby shrimp from crossing over, however I have seen a few just hanging on to the mesh and not get sucked through, this could also be because my tanks are 2.5 gallon, thus my flow rate for the pump is about 40 gph. So not a lot of flow.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, ddd_sss said:

It's not small enough to stop baby shrimp from crossing over, however I have seen a few just hanging on to the mesh and not get sucked through, this could also be because my tanks are 2.5 gallon, thus my flow rate for the pump is about 40 gph. So not a lot of flow.

Thanks for sharing the details or your setup!